buying in France or UK

Traci

i'm not sure if i'm going completely mad but am currently looking at buying a new car for driving in france.  However, as i'm only looking at buying possibly citroen, renault or ford, i have looked at garages locally and also in the uk for a LH drive.  I have looked at websites in the UK who sell import cars (LH drive) and they seem cheaper to put on the road over there than over here. Is this right or i am just completely confused.  Also if i was to buy in the UK, by the time its registered over here would it push the price up by thousands or just a few hundred. Thanks...........and hope some of this makes some sense!

The cost of re-registering would be hundreds, rather than thousands. I'm pretty sure there would be extra insurance to pay too (above what you would pay for a French made RHD car), plus the Ferry fare, though you would have to get here somehow I know.

If you want the car for France, why would you want a LHD ? 

I find it much safer (and easier) to drive a RHD car here, and an LHD in England.

Hang on a minute LHD is the norm for France and RHD for the UK.

I bought a new car here and saved loads over the UK price. I put the model I wanted into the wanadoo search engine and saved €5000 over the normal list price. They have car supermarkets here as well as the UK.

Hi BB, don't forget that the average femail does not have the same dimention as you and I have as far as left and right is concerned!!

Sorry Tresco [:D][:D][:P]. If my OH tells me turn left then my reaction is to ask which left, yours or mine!!!???

Gawddd John, where's the parapet, sod it just duck!!

As the old saying goes "When in Rome, drive down the middle"!!![:-))]

Hi BB, don't forget that the average femail does not have the same dimention as you and I have as far as left and right is concerned!!

Your way and my way does the trick for us..... but I was a dental nurse and dentists 'chart' in reverse. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it ![:)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Sorry Tresco [:D][:D][:P]. If my OH tells me turn left then my reaction is to ask which left, yours or mine!!!??[/quote]

No problem. [:)] Everyone has been very gentle. I thought I'd get a whole load more stick than this.

Having positioned myself safely in the drivers seat today and putting  a pen in my right hand i can confirm that my current very unsafe car in france at the moment has a stearing wheel on the right hand side!.......................now i want a stearing wheel on the other side of a new car!..........brain currently engaged as well, can anyone tell me if my original question which was right to start with is complete nonsense.  Also does anyone know if there is a car supermarket near bordeaux?

Traci, I put the make and model of the car that I wanted, in my case a Hyundai Tucson, into a search engine and studied the results. try the search line on Wanadoo/Orange if you use them, or yahoo.fr. As I said in my last post I ended up saving 5000 euro off the list price. There were a few car supermarkets in your city, but I went to Cahors and found that there were loads of Peugeots and Citroens with huge discounts.

I would say that I paid much less for my car than I would have been able to buy the same model in the UK for.