Carrying kids in front seats of a van

Amlot

Not sure; but I hope not. In Australia, New Zealand, and I am sure the USA now, children that age are NOT allowed to be in child restraints in the front of ANY vehicle. In fact child restraints, and children of a certain age, are restricted only to the back seat. When I lived there I was surprised to see that baby carriers are allowed in the front passenger seat of a car in the UK because it is illegal where I come from and for very good reason. I think the UK has some catching up to do in that area. In answer to your question; from what I witness everyday here the kids could sit on your lap while you drive and no-one would bat an eyelid. French parents seem to have the most negligent attitude to child car safety that I have seen anywhere in the world and it is shameful, especially given how the French drive.

I have seen dogs on the drivers lap while kids stand up in the back while the car is moving...I mean, where on earth are their heads at!!.

Code de la route Art R412-3 states:

I. - the carrying of a child aged less than ten years in the front seat of a motor vehicle is prohibited, except in one of the following cases:
1° When the child is carried, facing rearwards, in an approved system of restraint especially designed to be installed in front of the vehicle
and where the front airbag is disabled;
2° When the vehicle is not fitted with a rear seat
or if the rear seat is not equipped with a safety belt;
3° When the rear seats of the vehicle are temporarily unusable or are occupied by children of less than ten years, provided that each child is retained by an approved system of restraint.

You can find the full regulations set out [url=http://www.code-route.com/passager_voiture.htm]here[/url].

Just to correct some of the uninformed generalisations creeping in here, the regulations are EU wide and are the same in the UK......

Thanks sunday driver that seems to answer the question, it seems to be the same as the UK.

Wen     Im not sure I agree with you, I dont see why it would be any less safe in the front of a van than the rear of a car providing they are securly in. I just dont want to fall faul of the law.  Where I live in France (46) I havnt seen any loose children or dogs in the cars, they seem to be quite a responsible lot here. [;-)]

[quote user="wen"]

French parents seem to have the most negligent attitude to child car safety that I have seen anywhere in the world and it is shameful, especially given how the French drive.

I have seen dogs on the drivers lap while kids stand up in the back while the car is moving...I mean, where on earth are their heads at!!.

[/quote]

Wen, you have obviously not driven in the Arab World. Human airbags (children on lap of driver) are a common sight, even though wearing seat belts is mandatory. Equally, loads of children playing around, unsecured, in the back of large, high speed 4 x 4s are not an unusual thing.

On a similar note, heavily blacked out cars driven by fully (eyes covered) veiled ladies at night are a sight to give you the shudders.

If they are in total purda (?) how do you know they are women Steve?[8-)]

I went through Stansted a few months back and a 'person' in front f me was in COMPLETE purda, head to foot black with veil. What the hell did 'the' passport photo look like I wonder??? That's what gives me the shudders!!! My passport photo has to show ME not a bloody black veil!