French Insurance on Uk Plates.

DAVEF

You cannot keep your vehicle UK registered if you are based in France, so you will have to import it and register it here.  Whilst you're doing that, you can obtain a temporary French insurance certificate under the old UK registration number.

In terms of recommendations, I use MAAF.  Why not take a trip into your local town and get some quotes from the local agencies?

SD is quite correct but I think you are saying that the car is based in France but not neccessarily yourself and that may put a different slant on it.

There is a company here http://www.andrewcopeland.co.uk/gcm.htm who offer insurance and actually state that the car must stay out of UK for 11 months. You must also be UK resident.

I don't know how it works but could be quite interesting for a lot of people.

Thanks for the info,

Your absolutely right the car only is based in France.  

The reason I posted the question is I have seen cars in France with UK plates and the green French insurance sticker on the windscreen with a full years expiry date and no UK tax disc.

I wonder If you have green card insurance you need to tax the vehicle in the UK.

I did say

[quote user="ErnieY"]I don't know how it works.........[8-)][/quote]

and of course technically what is being said is correct and if the car is in France for over 6 months then it should be registered there but sometimes the world is not only black and white.....!

With regard to the insurance company I linked to, I don't know how it works or on what quirk or loophole they base their cover on but reading through their T&C's they are very specific on certain points such as the car not spending more than 28 days in UK or cover reverts from Comp to legal minimum for instance. Also they appear to be a long established bona fide company operating under the FSA so hopefuly offering a legitimate product.

My curiosity is well and truly piqued now so I think I might just contact them myself to find out more [;-)]

As a slight aside, on another forum there was a french-based company offering "long-term" insurance for UK cars in France. Their site also claims that their documents are suitable for taxing a car at a UK post office.

Anyone any idea what they are up to? Or is this AXA in another guise...??