French Banks

I'm about to open a bank account in area 16 (Charente), Nr Confolens,

Q1) Is there a bank that others here find best to use?

Q 2) Is there a bank which is not that good to us? 

Q 3) Is there a type of account best to open (easy to take payment from UK)?

Q 4) Is it best to convert money in the U.K to Euros or From France?

Q 5) Do the french charge for banking services when you're in credit?

Q 6) The bank which my local estate agent (French) has sort of arranged for me is 'Credit Lyonnais' does anyone use it an know if they charge for banking?

Thanks for reading this and answering it if you do

Regards

Euge

I cannot speak about department 16, but French banking - indeed continental banking (I work in Germany) - works differently to the UK.  Expect to pay charges even if you are in credit.  I pay 4,20€/month with CA - so CL is likely to be the same but it could be worth shopping around.

Expect to pay for your credit card (30€/year) if you need one - and you probably do since the automats at the petrol station only take French cards.  Which is wonderfully amusing when I pull into the card-only line in my German registered car - the queue behind empties of French registered cars and fills up with foreign registered ones.

Hi there,

The french banks charge more or less the same price for their services... but everythink is negociable! So don't hesitate to ask for a free credit card, negociate for a big overdraft or even reduce the charges when converting pounds in euros.
I've just heard that a bank now accept you hold bank accounts in euros and pounds... i think the Caisse D'Epargne is doing it but im' not sure at all... i try to sort that out and let you know.

I know the organization UFC (Union Fédérale des Consommateurs) has tested the banks last April... maybe if you can find april Magazine "Que Choisir" they published it will help. Or try on line http://www.quechoisir.org/ (but then you have to pay to access the full content)

Chin up

Sabine
www.en-toutes-saisons.com