Buying new

Lizfjr

Not too sure what happens in the UK now but buying a new car here is very straightforward.

Go to showroom, choose model, trim level, colour etc and place order. Dead easy [:D]

The deposit that we paid last year was 10% of the net price i e new price less trade in although that won't concern you this time. Whether or not that's the norm or varies from dealership to dealership I don't know as we always buy from the same dealer so they know us well.

I always remember haggling over price in the UK but that doesn't seem to happen nearly as much here. There are, of course, other ways of doing it. For example trying asking for little extras to be included. Stuff like an optional cruise control springs to mind. We got an excellent trade in, but of course they knew our vehicle well, but I still asked and got a tow bar fitted for free.

Another trick is to go in to place your order at the end of the month. If the dealership/salesperson has had a bad month they might be open to a bit of extra negotiation just to make their figures look respectable. However if they're having a great month then this can work against you. Also chose your month to order; I wouIdn't expect that the dealerships are run off their feet for example the week between Christmas and New Year so might be more willing to do a better deal.

Please don't get stuck in the this is France mindset so therefore a car from a French based manufacturer will be better. Cars these days are designed and built all over the World.

Good luck.

Hi Liz, as B says it is very easy to buy a new car here. The last time we went into a showroom to order one was yesterday and we also got a tow bar thrown in free!!! Should be ours in 2 weeks or so!!! Don't even think of bringing a RHD over to sell here. They are worth nowt and even though there are at least 1 dealer here that buys them to ship back he offeres stupid low prices for them[:-))]!!

We did go for a French car, a Citroen, becuse we like them. They will order it and get the registration done for you too. If you want the car a few days earlier you will probably be able to collect it with 'WW' (temp reg) and do the registration yourself. That isn't dificult either and the garage will tell you what documents you need. We are letting them do it for us.

I don't know if it's the same for all the marks, but the Citroen prices seem to go up twice a year and the next rise is next month!

Good luck both with your move and your car!!! What part are you going to?

Just yesterday I bought a used car (2003) in UK which was originally bought in Belgium, brought to UK on Belgian export plates, and will now be going to back France.

I reckon I've saved between 10 & 20% on what the same model would have cost over there, if I could have found it that is, because it's an estate from the VW stable which is what I specifically wanted to replace my venerable Golf Estate and it seems that such models are quite hard to find in France. 

[quote user="Lizfjr"]One of the first things I will be doing when I arrive in France next month is to order a new car. Is there anything basically different to the process in the UK, and what deposit is usually required?[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest? What sort of car are you looking for?