House Insurance

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good company for house insurance in deux sevres who speak english. We have recently been burgled and have our insurance with AXA. We have made a claim with proof of purchase and AXA have only paid out a third of the claim. Is this normal. They are saying it is a 'good payment' based on the experts report. I would like to ensure that in the future we have a good cover so that if it happens again we are fully covered for our loss. 

Firstly, I have not had a claim so far so have no idea whether I would have problems with the French insurers. I hope not!

Secondly, the insurer does not need to be in your locality. I use Lena Eaton of Continent Details as follows

0033 2 97 40 80 20

Fax: 0033 2 97 46 44 31

E-Mail: sales@french-insur...

Address: 1 Parc Doaren Molac

BP 30

56610 Arradon

France

She speaks English and  even supplies a booklet in English which explains everything. I found that invaluable. Suggest you contact her and give her a try. Mention my name and ask for the booklet.

Bottom line is never trust insurers. They are expert at taking your premium and (internationally) slow to pay up. Make sure you have full documentation and that you understand the terms of your cover. Don't forget that you need to give notice of cancellation to your existing insurers; this is a peculiarity of French insurers. See previous threads on this.

Andy

Thanks Andy.  I will give your insurance a call when ours is up for renewal.  It doesn't help that our insurance booklet is written in French, so an English version would prove very useful.

Touch wood, haven't had to make a claim yet, but my impression is that French insurers are a LOT less willing to pay you than UK insurers are.

When I think of the things that family/friends/neighbours claimed for in the UK, and got, it's just soooo different to the attitude here, where everyone's very cynical about it all, and tell you that unless it's something really major, it's just not worth contacting the insurers.

And ALWAYS check what you're covered for.  Even in an area with lots of electric storms, for example, don't assume that you're covered when your full-to-the-brim freezer gets grilled!