taking a telepeage doofer on a plane???

Fay

Has anyone tried to do this and do they lock you up, confiscate it or both?

We're flying to Geneva (from Luton) in January for the annual ski trip, and hiring a car. We usually drive down.

Like many folks here I'm a big fan of my telepeage doofer and it would save LOADS of time at the peages around Geneva and beyond, but I don't want to risk taking it if I am going to cause an international incident at security checks!

Anyone been there done that?

Thanks!

No problem, I take mine on flights to and from France through London all the time. After all we all take our mobile phones, ipods and laptops into the cabin of a plane. 

Unless it is plugged into its window bracket it is switched off and I transport mine in the silver plastic bag in came in, as this acts as a radio wave shield.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Perhaps the Swiss and French motorway systems, as far as doofers are concerned, are integrated?[/quote]Are there tolls on Swiss motoways, I thought you just bought the annual Vingnette and that was it.

I've driven across Switzerland into into Germany and back twice recently and never saw any toll stations.

Sprogster

Where did you hear that the doofah is switched off unless its in its holder.

I tend to leave ours in the holder all the time and as the holder isnt fixed in any particular car and spends most of its time currently in the UK this must mean that the battery is going to run down more quickly.

I cant see any kind of switch mechanism on the doofah itself

Im pretty sure that at some time we have used the doofah at tolls without it being in the holder.

In another thread which, for the life of me I can't find, there was a dicussion about doofahs and batteries in which I promised to open mine to prove conclusively whether:-

A: It even had one (could have been working on RFID technology)

and

B: if it did what sort it was.

Well I did it tonight and yes it does have a battery, a 3.5v Lithium cell the same size as an AA battery and soldered onto the circuit board.

So there, now we know [:D]

I've taken my doofer with me by air and used it in hire cars just by waving it vaguely in the right direction, therefore it must work without the cradle. Just changed cars, so I must now pop into a doofer office and pick up a replacement cradle as they stick like to **** to a blanket and can't be removed......

ernie

I was refereing to sprogsters post that if the doofah is in the holder it is turned on.

As ours is normally in the holder but not being used because we still spend most of out time in the UK if sprogsters post is true then it will run down quickly.

Bit misleading I agree, it will run down wherever it is if its turned on

ernie.

re the battery thing I think it was me asked about battery life as we had a case last year where the doofah didnt work.

Must have been a tempory glitch as it worked OK the next time we went.

Does it look as if the battery could be renewed by soldering in a new one?

I realise that doofahs are exchangable if they dont work but if possible I could do without wasting time one of the toll shops open to exchange it if we go and find it doesnt work.

Are the terminals so close to the circuity that it may destroy some of the electronics if resoldered?