Can I drive my sister's car in UK using French driving licence?

David_Janet

I am resident in France but I am likely to have to fly back to UK to visit my elderly father who has just broken his hip.  I don't know how long I'm going to stay and don't want the expense of hiring a car.  I am thinking about paying my sister the extra premium to go on her insurance so I can drive her car.  Will the fact that I only have a French driving licence cause me problems?  Do UK insurance companies accept French driving licences?  Any advice gratefully received.

David

Your sister can get temporary cover through companies such as www.daycover.com and dayinsure.com   I looked into this when my brother was coming over from New Zealand and I wanted him to be able to drive my car.  These type of companies are specifically for relatives coming from abroad and enabling them to use/drive a car.  The AA do something but they direct you to a 3rd party company.  I think the maximum coverage is 28 days.

Have a look.

Deby

Are you sure you need to pay extra? Obviously policies aren't all the same, and I don't have a UK policy now, but I seem to remember that they typically cover anyone driving with the policyholder's permission, or words to that effect (subject to some restrictions on young or inexperienced drivers, etc).

For what it's worth, I believe this is normal in France. It's certainly the case with my present policy.

Anyway, I agree with Nick that the fact that your licence is French should not be a problem.

(edited to add PS): After reading your question again I realize that maybe what you want to do is protect your sister's no-claim record. In which case, my comment wasn't very helpful. Sorry.

Hello - I think UK policies usually allow people (with certain restrictions - particularly age) to drive on your insurance but this is usually only as third party fire and theft cover, even if your normal cover is fully comprehensive.

That's my understanding anyhow.  Also I don't think your sister's no claims discount would be protected if you had an accident whilst insured on her policy (even if you paid extra to go fully comprehensive).  You might get this protected if you paid a further fee though.

Hope this helps?

Pix

Cheap: Pay for one of the custom insurances mentioned above and have complete peace of mind should the unforeseen happen.

Cheaper: Ask her for you to be put on her insurance for the period, I have done this with Direct line for as little as £7, all done over the phone, they asked age of driver and how long had they held a full license. Downside - if you have an accident she will probably lose her NCB.

Cheapest: Drive on her policy as "other driver with owners permission". Downside - if you have an accident she will no get here car repaired or replaced and will lose her NCB.

Pixietoadstool.

I have always found the idea of paying to protect NCB rather bizzare, in effect an insurance against the negative constraints of your existing policy which will also leave you at the mercy of that companys arbitary premium increases for several years following a fault claim.

You are probably right about paying a further premium which would in effect be a third insurance against the unfair conditions of the first two!

Pixie Toadstool wrote: "I think UK policies usually allow people (with certain restrictions - particularly age) to drive on your insurance but this is usually only as third party fire and theft cover, even if your normal cover is fully comprehensive."

I have doubts about this, but (as usual) the only way to be sure would be to read the policy.

[quote user="allanb"]J.R. wrote: "Downside - if you have an accident she will no get here car repaired or replaced and will lose her NCB." One or the other, but surely not both. If she pays the costs herself and doesn't claim reimbursement, why would she lose her NCB?[/quote]

If the third party successfully claims against the insured, if blame is attributed 50/50 or if there is a knock for knock agreement between the insurers.

Its a no-claim not no-blame bonus and the judge and jury are the insurers!