How to deregister a car from France

pouk

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You don't have to do anything - just take it to Sweden and register it there.

[/quote]

I thought you had to do something similar to UK, i.e. filling up the V5 equivalent of exporting it abroad?

Don't the french authorities need to know that the car is not registered anymore in their system?

I sent them a letter when we exported our car for 2 years to Gibraltar.  On our return we only took 20 mins tops to re-register the car and the lady commented positively on our letter (they had recorded the fact on their computer).  I intend to do the same when the same car goes to Italy for 3 years this year - no point in taking a new car with the mad drivers!!

pouk

France is different to the UK, where cars are subject to continuous taxation.  You have to notify the export in order for the DVLA to deregister the car so tax is no longer charged.

If you are selling it someone in Sweden, then you should send a certificat de cession to your prefecture to advise them of the transfer of ownership.  That means that if the buyer fails to register it locally (as we all know happens.....) you are no longer the registered owner and therefore not liable for any traffic offences he commits.

As long as you are retaining ownership yourself, then there's no problem.