Car tax and insurance

Nessie

I think I know how to register-thanks Forum.  Do you have to pay car tax in France and what will I need to show in order to insure my car?  Is insurance similar to UK eg discount for no claims etc.  Oh, and does anyone have a pair of headlamps for a 1999 Renault Scenic?

Thanks.

Alan D

No car tax in France.

For insurance, they'll ask for your carte grise to identify the correct model.  If you haven't yet got a CG, then your V5C will suffice.

No claims discount is pretty much the same in France.  They'll ask you for proof of previous NCB.  Letter from your previous UK insurer or renewal notice is usually OK.

Finally, no, I don't have the headlamps....[;-)]

I'm not so sure car insurance is cheaper. We paid a fair bit more here than we would have in UK and there are threads here from others who have experienced similar. Fair enough we are not yet possessed of the neccessary language skills to "let our fingers do the walking" so we couldn't do as much hunting around as we would have in the UK, or would have liked, but by the quotes we did get, 4 I think it was, it seemed to be much of a muchness. We'll see next time round.

The NCD works a bit differently too because in France it's 13 years for a full discount (anyone feel free correct me on that if I'm wrong). I don't know what the scale for discounts is or if it's linear, i.e. do 6 or 7 years = 50% ?

Most UK insurance companies top out at between 5, and 8 years or thereabouts and even if you have got 13 years you'll find it extremly difficult if not impossible to get anyone to give you a NCB statement or renewal with that number written on it consequently it can be difficult to enter the French system with a full discount.

Oh, BTW, I've got a spare pair of headlights for a MK4 Golf which I'm sure can be made to fit with the assistance of a hacksaw and hammer [:P]

Just to add to Ernie's explanation of the NCB system, I recall from previous threads on the subject that insurance companies will often take a commercial view over this.

In my own case (MAAF), I only had my last year's UK renewal notice and it did not mention any NCB details - it was a bank staff scheme which didn't operate on an NCB basis.  When I explained this to the guy, he asked me how long I'd had the insurance, I replied 22 years, and he said OK, we'll put you down for the full bonus....[:D]

I'n not suggesting this is the general rule, and it could well depend on the local staff and how near they are to their sales targets.....

I was lucky when I went to MAAF for my insurance (car & 2 bikes) as I had kept a history of insurance documents going back a number of years. The oldest one was around 7 or 8 years old and showed 4 years NCD so I was given 11 or 12 years hear on all vehicles. It turned out for me to be around 40% cheaper than the UK all together.