3rd party insurance

Mr Coeur de Lion

I imagined that as well but it appears that the insurance companies on both sides of the channel are more imaginative[8-)]

It is my experience that it costs a few pounds or Euros less than fully comp or multi-risques.

It seems crazy to me especially as they charge more if your car is newer, worth more and costlier to repair yet they will not be exposed to that risk[:@]

That is strange. In Australia, when you pay your road tax, you also have to pay a fixed 3rd party insurance fee which means whoever drives the car is insured. So the 3rd party insurance is the same price for everyone. That is why I imagined it would be a similar story here. Oh well, better make a trip down to the insurance office to get a price before I go any further.

Thanks.

Yes, when I bought a banger to travel and kip in around New Zealand it only cost me about 40 quid for the rego which included 3rd party liability, however it was for injury to 3rd partys and damage to 3rd party property which did not include vehicles, so technically I could have had a big bill if I hit someone elses pride and joy that also only had basic insurance.

That is if they could have found me [6]

I drove carefully and had no problems

My first year in France I paid I think 260 euros for tiers personnes cover, the nex year, same car same broker same insurance company 280 euros for multi-risques.

The quotes that I got in the Uk for TPF&T were similarly close to the fully comp premium.