Heating Oil

We have just bought a house in France. The hot water comes from the boiler/central heating system which is run by heating oil, but there is not enough oil left to run it. We've so far only been there one weekend to pick up the keys and have not had time to organise a delivery. Does anyone know the email address/telephone/fax numbers of any suppliers in the Gueret/Creuse area or if it's possible to buy smaller quantities in drums which we can take away ourselves?

French heating oil is red diesel (as used for tractors etc). So you should have no problems getting a small quantity, though most suppliers will deliver large quantities quickly at this time of year. As you obviously have internet access then http://www.pagesjaunes.fr will give you a selection of local suppliers.

I would imagine that in times of dire need you could always use ordinary diesel, though you would of course have to pay the duty on it. I'm sure if there is any other reason why you shouldn't do this somebody can put the record straight.

Heating oil is known as "Fioul" (pronounced fee-ool). Usually you just phone up the supplier and arrange for the delivery tanker to come the next day. Saturday deliveries are usually possible. You don't have to buy a full tank but it usually gets cheaper the more you buy. A good starting quantity at this time of year might be 400-500 litres which should last quite a while until you turn the heating on !

Don't forget you need to turn your boiler off for about 4 hours after the tank has been filled to allow all the sediment to settle.

Breakpoint for fioul prices is 500L/1000L (generally), so you may get it several cents/L less if you order 500L instead of 400L, but obviously check.

You can run oil boilers on DERV (Gazole). But as you say, it is twice the price of Fioul. (Although fioul is catching up. Our Total delivery man reckons 60c/L (1000L drop) by September! Hope he's wrong).

I was in the same position a few years ago.  I went to the local bulk supplier and arranged it (I didn't trust my French over the phone but as it turned out they needed money up front as I was a new customer).  They delivered the next day which was Christmas Eve.

Our Total delivery man reckons 60c/L (1000L drop) by September! Hope he's wrong).

I Wish!!!  We're having 1000 litres delivered tomorrow...... 629€!!!!! Exactly two years ago we paid 375€ for the same amount.

Hi

We use J Marzet in St Sulpice-les-Feuilles. We've found his prices good and was recommended by a friend. He will deliver and send invoice to UK if required.

Telephone number is 05 55 76 71 02

Fax 05 55 76 94 52

If you need any more info let me know

Kate

I'd just like to say thankyou very much to everyone who has replied so far, the information received has been very helpful to a newcomer to the experience of owning a French Property, thankyou. (I'm just a bit shocked by the price of the oil, I didn't think it would be quite that expensive!)