De regisrering a French car

ausibattler

Sunday driver is 'yer man' for definitive chapter and verse however the first and crucial question has to be 'what do you intend doing with it in UK' ?

If you plan to keep and use it then you just register it with DVLA as per the sticky at the top of the Driving topic, you don't have to 'de-register' in France. Be aware that if you are UK resident you are not permitted to drive a foreign registered car.

If however you plan to try and sell it on still French registered for possible re-export then you would need to complete the same formalities with a buyer as if it were still in France failing which they will have great difficulty in registering it in their name here.

I think it would be preferrable by far to diaspose of it in France if you possibly can.

I dont think its a big deal to register your ex France car in UK. My daughter drove her german reg car to uk and registered it without any problem.

The fact that it is LHD will impact on its sale value though, as will the need to get new headlights (possibly), the latter did not apply to my daughter as the headlight bulb holder unit could be rotated to meet RHD dip specs.

Thanks Guys.

I am only in France for 3 weeks therefore I think it unlikely I will find a buyer in that time

No I am not a UK tax resident and I am hoping to sell to a dealer rather than a private sale.

I will only drive it ( as an overseas visitor) as I enter the UK to the dealers yard.

Hence at what point do I deregister it and where does one get the paperwork from the French authority.

Thanks