Is 20/50 Low Detergent Oil available

passepartout

Oil technology has moved a long way in the past 25 years so why use old technology oil? A 15w50 or 10w50 modern oil will give much better protection and will lubricate the engine quicker on start up than a old fashioned 20w50. You will also find more places selling it.

In over 200,000 miles in my MGB I have never used anything but the cheapest 20/50 with an oil change every 3,000 and a filter every 6,000.

Suffice to say that I'm still on the original engine and crankshaft and have 50lb+ pressure on hot tickover !

Can't argue with the question of finding it in France though, even in UK it's not in every shop like it used to be.

Ernie, Do you still use cross ply tyres? There are many stories of people who have not bothered with anything modern and suffered no ill effects. On the subject of oil, if you were to use a modern semi synthetic oil, you need not bother changing it every 3000 miles, but leave it in for 15000 as I did with my old Citroen CX diesel. that car was owned from new by my father and passed on to me. When I sold it with 285000 miles on it the beast was a sweet as a nut.

Thanks for the link JMB. I do know of the product but the day I need to spend €39 for 5L of 20w/50 oil could likely be the day I also pump up the tyres on my pushbike !

On the subject of tyres Bob, I'll forgive your hyperbole but I won't dignify the question with an answer [:P]

I am not averse to modern methods and materials, quite the reverse in fact - but in their place, and that is only if they bestow tangible and significant benefits.

I don't do a fraction of the mileage in my 'B' that I used to, for a good few years 20k was about average and I peaked one year at 44k. With those sort of mileages reliability was obviously crucial and my 3000m policy was well tried and proven. Nowadays 5k pa would be nearer the mark so my 3000m now represents probably 8 or 9 months driving and as long as I can pick up a can or two of 20w/50 for around £4.50 each on my occasional trips back to UK I really cannot see any compelling reason to spend 5x that on a semi synthetic.

I have never regarded doing an oil change on my 'B' as bother by the way [:D]

Ernie, no criticism of your methods was intended, the tyres thing was tongue in cheek.

A semi synthetic here in France can be bought for around 15 euro per 5 liters. The reason that oil used to be changed at 3000 miles is that the additives pacakage in the oil used to break down over that sort of mileage hence the appearance of stuff like STP and Wynns in the old days. As oil has got more modern the package lasts much longer, in a fully synthetic there are very few additives. That is one of the reasons that a BMW diesel (diesels are very hard on the oil) will go for 20,000 miles before needing an oil change.

As an example my old CX diesel (1981 I think) called for an oil change every 3000 miles, but at the time API CC was the top spec oil. When API CD came out in the mid '80 Citroen changed the oil change interval to 6000 miles. Now that we are up to API CF4 many diesels can go for 15 to 25,000 miles without changing the stuff and that is only semi synthetic, not fully synthetic.   

I use fully synthetic in our bikes as it lubricates quicker on start up (the lower number in the 5w50) and can survive any extreem heat problems should the oil ever get over 120C.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Suffice to say that I'm still on the original engine and crankshaft and have 50lb+ pressure on hot tickover !

[/quote]

Well Ernie, that means diddly swat.  Its oil FLOW that you should be thinking about not oil pressure.  Its similar to blood flow in your body, a high pressure at rest is not good - is it !

Fit a modern oil of the weight that suits your motor, and change it every 12 months, you wont regret it.  Have you got rid of that silicon brake fluid yet - tut tut [:)]

[quote user="tracteurtom"]
Well Ernie, that means diddly swat.  Its oil FLOW that you should be thinking about not oil pressure. 
[/quote]

Thats almost funny.

Without pressure you wouldn't have any flow for goodness sake.