Age restriction on French Permis de Conduire?

Megan le Fey

Sorry if this has been done before but I am in too much of a panic to search.  I have just received my exchanged French driving licence today.  It allows me to ride those funny little bikes in category A1  and the cars in B1 and B however, on the motor cars, in the Restrictions column it has "70 RU" which I fear means that they are applying the UK expiry at age 70.  I will be 70 in 2 months time.  Is it really the case that the licence expires then  and if so what do I do about it.  My OH has Alzheimer's  so I cannot leave him and just pop back to UK to try and fix it.  I had believed that the French licence was for life with possibly the odd medical at appropriate intervals.  Or I panicking for nothing and are they simply noting the UK expiry?

Ohhhh thank-you guys,  I can let my breath out.[:D]  I never thought of codes - I knew about RU but all I saw was "Restrictions" and "70" and I began to wonder about life in a village without a car.  Perhaps there was just a tinge of conscience that I was taking advantage of the system to avoid having to try to renew the UK licence.  Thank-you again.

I ask the following question as I dont have a French license to consult and like you thought that they were for life.

Is it the case that they do not have an expiry date printed on them and hence do not have to be renewed?

I am lucky to still have a paper UK license that I dont have to pay to renew every 10 years like the photocard one, I wonder how long before I will be forced to do so? It's bad enough having to pay for my passport just to go to and from England, oh wait a minute its expired and I havnt yet[:)]

My French neighbours last year went on a packege tour to the Dominican Republic without passports, just their identity cards.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

I ask the following question as I dont have a French license to consult and like you thought that they were for life.

Is it the case that they do not have an expiry date printed on them and hence do not have to be renewed?

[/quote]

The licence does not expire - only the individual categories might  The ones that may need to be renewed are those which require a periodic medical, eg towing large trailers (E), buses (D), trucks (C).  Your basic car entitlement (category B) does not require a medical, therefore it does not expire.