french car speeding in UK

newbiee

In March 2006, the UK Road Safety Act gave the Secretary of State powers to authorise the DVLA to provide details of UK vehicles and their drivers to approved EU traffic enforcement authorities so that fines for offences committed abroad could be forwarded to the driver's UK address. 

I expect the French will be reciprocating this information exchange facility, so you may well receive the UK speeding ticket in the post.....[;-)]

However, there is currently no mechanism in place to enforce fines/penalty points in another country's jurisdiction, other by civil action for the monetary value.  Unpaid London congestion charges are already sub-contracted out to collection agents for legal recovery, but as far as I know, speeding fines are not.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

In March 2006, the UK Road Safety Act gave the Secretary of State powers to authorise the DVLA to provide details of UK vehicles and their drivers to approved EU traffic enforcement authorities so that fines for offences committed abroad could be forwarded to the driver's UK address. 

I expect the French will be reciprocating this information exchange facility, so you may well receive the UK speeding ticket in the post.....[;-)]

However, there is currently no mechanism in place to enforce fines/penalty points in another country's jurisdiction, other by civil action for the monetary value.  Unpaid London congestion charges are already sub-contracted out to collection agents for legal recovery, but as far as I know, speeding fines are not.

[/quote]

[quote user="sid"]

Is there an echo on here???  [blink]

Sid

[/quote]

No. My post disappered into the ether.

I don't understand how a country can reciprocate without legislation.

The bureacratic speak was nearly unintelligible.

Chances of getting nabbed for a one off flash in UK are very low.

Do not make a habit of it as the police and camera chums have unlimited time and do not like being made chumps of. Recent case of a motorcyclist that regularly got flashed at three figure speeds and was photographed making obscene gestures at the camera.

I sympathise with him but they checked make model and colour of his BMW (that was the fatal mistake - old bill know their BMs) narrowed it down and prosecuted to the full extent of the law - the poor man was a bus driver and lost his job.

Surveillance UK one nil.

UK is now most watched country in the world - Stalin couldn't do better.

Newbiee.

At the current time you have no concerns with speed cameras in the UK using a foreign registered car (I speak from personal experience) unless you do a grande betisse (or repeated ones) and are in the country semi-permanantly then you  just might find your car impounded.

One of my main customers was Transport for London, in the traffic control unit (bus, bus lane, speed and traffic light cameras) they had a rogues gallerie of photos making obscene gestures etc (my favorite was the naked female million passenger giving the finger) and some awfull accidents where vehicles jumped the lights.