Taking my car back to the UK.

brucampbell

I've just done this, without any major problems. The vehicle import information pack mentioned in Clair's link has useful information and includes the form V55/5 that you need to complete.  I rang DVLA and found them very helpful in advising which sections of that form had to be completed - particularly as my car had not been noted as "exported".   

No claims bonus was something of a problem and the only company I could find that would recognise the French releves d'information was Churchill and they wanted a translation, but were prepared to accept mine.

Anyway it's done now - and back on my pre export registration number

We drove our (originally uk registered) car back to England and gave it to our daughter.

She managed to re-register it in England and even got the original number plate.

It can't be that difficult.

The bit that hurt her was having to buy new headlights when we had already had to buy new ones in France and stupidly threw the original ones away.

Ah, well. Only money, I suppose

We gave our UK Corsa (complete with refitted original RHD headlamps) to our daughter when she came across to visit us for the first time.  She took it back home then stuck it in the garage to wait until we went back to visit so I could sort out the re-registration for her - clever girl.....[;-)]

I got the DVLA pack and filled in the forms, but the DVLA office in Birmingham couldn't have been more helpful.  They looked up the car's previous UK record and reissued the original number and even rang daughter's insurers to sort out a query.

Almost as obliging as our local prefecture girls.......[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
I would appreciate some advice as this seems to be a bit of a Catch22. You have to have insurance and evidence of your address to re-register. However I thought you needed a registration number in order to get insurance??? ( replies by email would be very welcome)