a french trailer..

Cest la vie

Hi all,

I was hoping for a little info on trailers. Basically I have a french trailer that I would like to take back to the UK. Unfortunatly I only have a Uk registered van to get it there. If I change the french plate on the french trailer to the UK registered van does that make it legal? Or am I asking for trouble?? The van is insured to pull trailers etc.

Cheers

CLV

Leave it on the French plate but make sure that you have the carte grise and certificate of insurance, neither of which have to be in your name.

Its the other way round, French registered car towing UK (or other) trailer over 500kg which technically could cause a problem although I have done it several times.

It's illegal to tow a UK registered trailer with a French registered vehicle; I don't think the converse is a problem. However, I don't think it matters whether the trailer is registered or not; (you didn't say).

I can't see any problem in changing the trailer number plate so that it matches your van/car because you'd then be complying with the regulations as far as UK visitors are concerned, provided that your insurance also covers towing. In effect it'd be the same as a UK car and trailer combination and the French rules don't apply.

The problems arise as JR states, when you want to tow a UK trailer with a French car, specifically where the trailer (or caravan) is over 500kg and needs to have its own registration number.

Sid

You need to give us more info so that we can give you the correct answer

How big is your van, what type of UK licence do you need to drive it and how big (weight) is the trailer?

If

it's a diddy van you drive on a car licence, and a diddy little trailer

which doesn't need it's own number plate you just get a plate made up

to match that of the towing vehicle and off you go

Bigger trailers, bigger vans : we need more info from you!

Thank you for all the replies so far, i think ill be OK.

It a UK short wheelbased transit and the trailer is 500kg gross with a max payload of 300kg, so little van and trailer. Ive got a spare plate with the vans rego on it to hopefully put on the trailer.....

My license is standard UK, so I have the C1E and D1E categories for towing.

Hope that makes more sense

CLV

Yep, no worries, just put the same plate on as for the van

JR - - if it's like our garage, trailers get towed behind all sorts of different vehicles (not always ours). We always mean to check the right plate is on before we go out, but sometimes we realise later oops! hope the flics don't see it

The confusion is easy to clear up, if slightly embarrasing....

Im moving back to the UK, so last week was the first run with the motor and the trailer, I then picked up a van to come back for the big stuff. Anyhoo, got three hours up the road and thought to that the car was handling very well, then realised that I forgot to hitch up the trailer before I left...b*****r

CLV