Class 1HGV and FIMO

Frank

Hi

Sometime ago there was mention that in September the law was to change regarding the FIMO. The last info I saw said the law change would mean that if you held a current class1 HGV license from the UK then this would be valid in France without taking the FIMO from end September this yr. I was wondering if anyone had heard anymore on this or if it was just a 'flash in the pan' statement . Any advice/links greatly received, thanks in advance

Jetlag

I have no facts, but I would suspect not. FIMO seems to be being ramped up in importance....a cynic would suggest its more of a moneymaking excercise than anything safety related, and as the state is keen on collecting as much money as possible, I would suspect FIMO would be obligatory.

As far as I can make out, you dont need to sit it if you drive for personal use, but driving comercially, being empoloyed to drive, requires the course. A workaround I have heard about is if you are a plant operator, you can transport whatever equipment you will be using yourself from depot to site and back. It strikes me as completely unenforceable though.

You are also required to sit a refresher course, either yearly or every 2 years, I cant remember which.

A chap I know sat it recently and reckoned the vast majority of the course is a farce, with huge amounts of class-work along the lines of loading orders for multi-drop deliveries etc, with a few maneuvers in the carpark later on. I think he said he ended up doing less than 4 hours of actually usefull on-road assessment.