Heating oil/car diesel

Edward Trunk

I have a tank of heating oil in my cave, inherited from the previous owner. Is this the same as car diesel, and could I use it in my car? I realise that it's highly illegal to do so, and I would deservedly be dragged off to Madame la Guillotine, so treat it as an innocent scientific enquiry. (I have installed a wood-pellet stove, and so don't need this oil).

I would not use it in any modern diesel engine like a common-rail or HDi style engine. An older deisel with a basic mechanical pump should be fine, but I would run it 50:50 with normal diesel as a precaution.

My sister used to own a mkI clio diesel which she ran on neat heating oil. It soldiered on for about 18 months, but towards the end it produced a smoke-screen James Bond would have been proud to use.

I've just bought a vintage diesel tractor (56 Major.) Even here, it's recommended a maximum of 50:50 mix. Apparently, heating oil burns hotter than road or 'farm' diesel (perhaps because it's not compression/ignition - sais pas.)

I was speaking to a guy the other day who's just been landed with a €3000 bill for engine repairs to his car. He was using neat heating oil...

Not worth it, methinks.