Buying a second hand car

melmoth

Hi,

My local citroen dealer is a reliable honest man and sells second hand cars, but I'm told that thsecond hand cars are VERY expensive in France and I would do better to buy a LHD in Belgium and import - has any one any advice on this. Obviously I should need to get the car registered whereever I buy it - would this be a problem for a Belgium car?

Any help much appreciated

Brendan

As you have knowledge of you local Citroen dealer, I would assume that you have looked at the prices of his second hand cars, and would not need to be told that they may expensive. Do you think that they are expensive?

Importing and registering is different to just re registering a French car, the former you would have to do yourself and the latter the dealer would most likely do for you.

Bob,

I'm in England at the mement and it's here I've decided to look into buying in France. I guess I'm assuming that they're expensive because everyone says French 2nd hand ones are, but of course I'll check it out. Yes, the dealer registering it would of course be better and he'd be on hand when the engine falls out! mainly at the moment I want as much info as possible before I go back (for good!) next month.

Brendsn

[quote user="melmoth"]Hi,
 Obviously I should need to get the car registered whereever I buy it - would this be a problem for a Belgium car?
[/quote]

No problem whatsoever, have done it myself.  No different from importing a car from UK.  In fact it is easier because it is LHD.[:D]

I have decided to carry on with RHD. Cars in the UK are so much cheaper and the reregistration process is not difficult once you get the hang of it. I will either run the car into the ground or sell it to an English person who also likes hugging the kerb and is not to bothered about overtaking.