French - English glossary for vehicles/driving wanted

Araucaria

Can anyone post a link to a site with English/French translations of parts of vehicles and other driving terms?

I can just about manage to find the words for the windscreen, steering wheel, the tyres and the rear view mirrors, but once it gets to the bonnet, the bumpers, the parts of the electrical system etc I am totally stuck.

I looking for something a bit quicker than that. Though I have very recently bought the Haynes manual.

Specifically what is (in French) the big bit of plastic that Citroen calls the "engine undershield"? Thanks to Citroen's hydractive suspension, if you park over the top of a kerb while the engine is running and the suspension is up, when you turn off the ignition you settle down nicely onto the kerb and break it up into small pieces (actually you pull all the fastening clips out first, and then trailing it along the ground is what breaks it up).

I suppose the easiest way is to take the remains along to the local garage and wave them about a bit.

[:@]

[quote user="Araucaria"]I looking for something a bit quicker than that. Though I have very recently bought the Haynes manual.

when you turn off the ignition you settle down nicely onto the kerb

[:@]

[/quote]

I remember that with my father's Citroen - took me ages to rememebr to wait before starting to let it "rise"!.

Even without that, you can happily scrape the front on a kerb - the kerbs in parking lots sees to be quite high and cars seem to be quite low these days!  I remember loosing my mini mumber plate that way, years ago!

When I had to bodge back the undertray on my friends (my ex French teacher) car after her husband left some fixings out doing a vidange she called it simply le carter I asked her if she was sure as to me that me that means crankcase or chaincase but she was sure it was the correct term.

I didnt doubt her as she teaches both English and French in a Lycée proffesional for motor vehicle technicians and it is her that does all the translations for the other lecturers but know I have my doubts as BB's phrase seems more correct in a descriptive sense.

The sequel to this was very cheering.

OH went to the local Citroen garage with the car and the evidence (the undershield, which had been dragged along the road for a couple of kilometres before being removed). The garagiste said that a new undershield would cost (I think) €180, but he had fixed back ones that had had much worse damage than that one. And he did, on the spot, for €28.

While under the car he said that he'd noticed a small oil leak from (I think) part of the turbo, and the cost to replace that would be €300 just for the parts, but if it was his car he wouldn't bother, it wasn't leaking much.

He's certainly going to get my custom in future (not too soon though I hope).