Driving licence UK to French - medical?

Just Chris

This has probably been done to death, but I can't find any answers specific to my question, which is:

I want to change my pink paper UK licence for a French one.  It has the usual bog standard groups.  I've been told by friends who recently changed theirs, that a medical is necessary.  They say that they had to undergo one, merely to change from UK to French driving licence, because they need to tow a trailer.  We have (and tow) a small trailer regularly on our British licence here in France and I've not seen (nor heard of) anyone else mention the requirement for a medical just for changing to a French licence.  Can anyone confirm this, please?

Chris

I am 67 and tow a uk but French registered caravan.To maintain the correct part of the license part B ,I think off hand,I do have to have a 2 year medical.After 76 it is every year.If under 60 then I dont think a medical is required.The weight limitation is gross 500kg I believe.Otherwise no problems exchanging the license as both of us have done.Dont need to carry passport now as ID. Maude.PS Never ever met a French caravanner who has to follow the same or they just ignore it.

Chris

Your 'bog standard' car licence (category B) allows you to tow a trailer provided its gross weight does not exceed the unladen weight of the towcar and the gross weights of car and trailer don't exceed 3500kg.  No medical is required.

To tow anything bigger, you need licence category B(E) for which a medical is required.

If your UK licence includes category B(E) and you don't want to tow large trailers, then just tell the prefecture that you don't want it included on your French licence.  That way, you won't need the medical....

Hi there

My husband and I are just going to change both of our licences to french ones. My husband has full coach and heavy goods entitlements which he would like to keep.

Does anyone know if any doctor can carry out the medical needed or are there specific ones approved by the prefecture and also how much will it cost for the medical.

Thanks in advance.

[quote user="trastu"]Hi there

My husband and I are just going to change both of our licences to french ones. My husband has full coach and heavy goods entitlements which he would like to keep.

Does anyone know if any doctor can carry out the medical needed or are there specific ones approved by the prefecture and also how much will it cost for the medical.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Specific doctors only. You can get a list from either your Marie or the Prefecture.

26€ from memory.

Just had my medical 2 days ago cost 24.40 euros.Specific doctors only and not your own medecin even if he is authorised as mine is .So went to the other one authorised in our town.

Had no problems until I got to the sous prefecture with my photos taken in the booth at the local Intermarche.They didnt conform to the French Norm!!!!had to spend yet another trip to town and another4 euros for another set taken this time at Leclercs!!!

Maude.