Having to leave there French Dream!

Lautrec

Some good friends of ours are packing their bags and returning broken-hearted to the UK. After five years of renovation of an old property, they are forced to move back as their money has now run out.

This is, I think everybody's nightmare! I could not see myself living back in England again as I am completely cativated by the way of life over here! I know that it is not perfect, but the UK does not attract me anymore!

Has anybody in this situation thought of selling their house and with the proceeds, rent a nice property for the rest of their days?  The proceeds of the sale should pay the rental for many years and if you had a secure tenancy, what snags might there be?

Lautrec

PS. My title should read THEIR not there!

Unfortunately for many people I think this problem will become all too common in the next few years to come. France is not the cheaper place it was to come and live in five or more years ago and the costs of renovation have soared along with the price of materials and the such. Property does not seem to be selling like it was this time last year and before that and there are whispers going round up here in 29 that lean times are coming for the construction industry and especially if the 5,5% TVA scheme is done away with on 31.12.05.

I have seen people from round here that we got to know return to the UK basically because they were either bored,had no money and couldn't find work or the call of their families was too strong. One couple lost everything and now rent a dingy ground floor flat in an expensive Devon seaside resort only because their family moved there and they can't get their pensions either for at least another four or five years yet. Its no good telling people to do their homework before moving here to live lock,stock and barrell as they inevitably take no notice and think people are just doom mongering,but I'm sure if some people who have had to return due to lack to funds could have waited a little longer and visited as a holiday home,then things might have worked out differently and they would still have the best of both worlds. The problem is how long will it take to sell property now for those with no choice but to return and for most,they will need this money to start again.

Hi to Lautrec!

We have also made such a good life here with friends, joining in with various nationality and french society.  Having made the sad decision to leave here, I feel it better to do it sooner rather than later, as it gets harder each day to contemplate.  It's a worry with the supposed market downturn that it may take a fair while.  So, could downsizing for folks be the answer, or is it that some are coming over with so little funding, etc, that isn't an option.  My heart goes out to them, if that's the case.

Hi

just an interesting aside .......

this may be the perfect time for people having second thoughts (for whatever reason) to return to UK :

• French prices have risen dramatically over the last few years
    • The GBP is weak against the Euro
    • Back in UK it is a buyers market

Only problem could be selling up in France. But there seem to be plenty of buyers, and successfull buyers, down here.

Peter