Motorhome weight

smiley

We have just purchased a Hymer motorhome which we have imported from England. Once the CoC arrives (Hymer France seem less than jet-propelled) I will start the process of registration. However I have a bit of a conundrum.

The m/h has a removable rear motorcycle carrier and was I believe replated with a maximum permitted weight of 3900 kg. Originally the max weight was 3500kg, before the previous owner added the carrier.

It has dawned on me that in spite of the convenience of having a m/c carrier enabling us to use our 100cc scooter while touring, there is going to be a downside as well, not least in becoming a poids lourd with all sorts of unpleasant consequences!

Has anyone on the forum been here before? I would welcome your advice.

I have a Hymer S700 on a Mercedes Benz chassis which is plated at 4600kg.  It is fitted with a very large towbar (due to the long rear overhang) which looks like it was original equipment on the Tirpitz and it's so heavy that if I'd chosen to have the van downrated to 3500kg, I'd lose most of its useful payload. In the end, I just maintained it at the full 4600kg, ie a poids lourd.

As a PL, the van will have to have an annual controle technique at an HGV testing station.  It's no big deal as the test is pretty much the same as the one for cars - it's just that the testing equipment is much beefier.  The cost of the test is 90€ compared to 60€ every two years for a <3500kg van or car. You'll need to fit a 2kg fire extinguisher in the cab and speed discs on the rear of the van.  Speed limits are 110kph on autoroutes, 100kph on dual carriageways and 80kph on other roads.

The conformity documentation supplied by Hymer and the base vehicle manufacturer will be relative to the vehicle as it left the factory, so any increase in the gross weight (PTAC) will have to be approved by the DRIRE as part of the single vehicle approval inspection.

Up until now, the only real downside in registering a motorhome as a PL has been when you come to sell it in France.  Whereas the UK C1 licence category (up to 7500kg) was automatically included on UK driving licences issued prior to 1997, there was no equivalent automatic entitlement in France, so for someone to buy your van, they'd have to have a category C (HGV) licence. However, following a campaign by the French camping car federation, the Ministry of Transport has now ruled that category B (car) licences issued prior to 1975 can be used for all motorhomes, regardless of weight. Whilst that still restricts you to older buyers, it's better than it was.

If you use the forum search facility you will find further information on the process for registering a motorhome in France.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Up until now, the only real downside in registering a motorhome as a PL has been when you come to sell it in France.  Whereas the UK C1 licence category (up to 7500kg) was automatically included on UK driving licences issued prior to 1997, there was no equivalent automatic entitlement in France, so for someone to buy your van, they'd have to have a category C (HGV) licence. However, following a campaign by the French camping car federation, the Ministry of Transport has now ruled that category B (car) licences issued prior to 1975 can be used for all motorhomes, regardless of weight. Whilst that still restricts you to older buyers, it's better than it was.

[/quote]

By the looks of most of the folk driving these things they would be entitled to have acquired their licences pre-1975, and some should be restricted to a voiture sans permis, never mind being allowed to drive a big van.

Oh dear, what a shame, I can't buy one of these things: I failed my driving test in 1975, and it was 1976 before I could afford another.

Thanks SD - you have been most informative. In view of what you say it is a bit marginal whether PL restrictions are worth taking on. Ours is a Hymer 584 and without the scooter and carrier I suspect would have a useful payload even at 3500 kg. Perhaps I ought to get the current weight checked at a local weighbridge.

The alternative I suppose is to register at 3900 kg and reregister at 3500 if we no longer use the scooter , or prior to a sale.

Your M/H sounds enormous. If we see a Hymer using tug assistance to come alongside at Bressuire we'll all know who it is!

4600kg pah, a tiddler.

A friend of mine has recently sold his 7500kg Hymer. Not sure of the exact model but it was a behemoth, possibly the biggest they make and similar to this from memory. His scooter went inside in the back, no ugly bits of ironwork hung on for it [:)]

Needlesss to say it was never registered in France and went back to UK for sale.

[img]http://www.motorhomes.mobi/Portals/2/ListingImages/FullSize/21470.jpg[/img]

• 7 months later...
Hello,

I know that this is an old posting and things may have changed since then but I have a couple of questions

1)  What are speed disks ??  are they wired to a speed limiter ?? or just to give an indication of speed ?  Not familiar with these

2) What is the process if the vehicle does not have a Cert of C  due to age or manufacture

3)  How complicated is registering an American RV which is over 3.5 tons

Any advice or links to advice already posted would be appreciated

Regards

Derek

Vehicles with a gross weight in excess of 3500kg are subject to reduced speed limits and must have discs mounted on the rear panel/chassis displaying those limits.

Vehicles without a certificate of conformity must be individually approved through a DRIRE inspection before they can be registered here.

An American RV will not qualify for a CoC and will likely require additional tests and subsequent modification in order to obtain approval for use in France. There are also size limits which some larger US RVs may exceed.

Finally, bear in mind that their size makes them difficult to drive in towns and virtually impossible to park there.  Many campsites refuse to accept very large motorhomes.

Thank you that is very helpful.  There are many advantages for me having an American RV, as it is easy to purchase a good low mileage older Vehicle with all the options much cheaper that a more up to date recent European Model, so I am prepared for parking and narrow streets (with the assistance of TomTom Truck Sat Nav software.)  My UK registered RV is only 28 feet long ( 8.7 mtr  x 2.5mtr wide ) so I have chosen the smallest of the RV's.  It looks as if I should go to my local DRIRE and hopefully find someone who can speak English who can advise me of what changes I would need to do ( my French is still not good enough for technical matters )

I have a question regarding another of you postings which relate to Driving licenses (changing a UK one to a French one)

You quoted

Up until now, the only real downside in registering a motorhome as a PL

has been when you come to sell it in France.  Whereas the UK C1 licence

category (up to 7500kg) was automatically included on UK driving

licences issued prior to 1997, there was no equivalent automatic

entitlement in France, so for someone to buy your van, they'd have to

have a category C (HGV) licence. However, following a campaign by the

French camping car federation, the Ministry of Transport has now ruled

that category B (car) licences issued prior to 1975 can be used for all

motorhomes, regardless of weight. Whilst that still restricts you

to older buyers, it's better than it was.

I am an older driver with a C1 + E license but have to renew it every three years and have a medical to maintain the C1 category.  I am thinking of changing my license to a French license,  so are you saying that I do not have to maintain my UK C1 catergory but can drive my Camping Car (weight 6800 kg ) on a normal French Car license if I changed ??  and not have to bother with expensive Medicals ( UK Doctor charges £150 for Medical ).  At what age in France would I need to have a medical for a car license ??   I am in good health with Average eye-site for my age

Where could I find written confirmation regarding the Driving rule for Camping Cars. I would not want to be stopped and find I was driving illegally.( like to have documentation with me if stopped)

Sorry for so many questions but you seem very Knowledgeable

Thanks