Negotiating rental prices

ClaraQ

Hi

Does anyone know if it is normal/expected to make an offer on the monthly rental of a property in a city.  We have found a lovely (small) appartment to rent in Paris which we intend to stay in for the next 2 years at least.  The agent is asking for 1200 euros per month.  Do agents expect you to just pay the asking price or would an offer of around 10% less be considered?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Clara

Well, I think that is expensive even for Paris if it is small. Then again, if it is in the 16th, for example, it isn't. So I suppose my answer would be, if you think it is expensive for the area you could say to the agent that you are very interested, but you would have expected a little more for your money etc. You are, after all planning to spend a lot. But be prepared for them to say no, and frankly the two year thing is not necessarily a plus, they have to rent it to you for 3 (unless it is furnished) even if you can give notice sooner.

Only you can tell how it compares with all the others you've seen in the same location and price bracket but if you've looked at lots of places already and this one is by far, far the best, I'd snap it up at the asking price.  You don't say where it is, nor how small, but if the Paris rental market is anything like the buying market at present, I wouldn't hang around.

That said, if it's been on the market for several months (exclude August, few people look then) and it's in relatively bad state, you've probably got a better chance of having an offer accepted.  Why not ask your agent?  Sure it's in their interest to sell it at the highest price but if it has been sitting on their books for a while, they may be only too keen to offload it slightly cheaper.

M

[quote]Well, I think that is expensive even for Paris if it is small. Then again, if it is in the 16th, for example, it isn't. So I suppose my answer would be, if you think it is expensive for the area you...[/quote]

Could you (or anyone) please point me in the right direction for the french law regarding the 3 years minimum renting for unfurnished property?

Thanks!