Good website for buying a second hand car

Gyro

Hi

I want to buy a Golf SW bluemotion so does anyone know a good website I can search second hand cars. I have tried Argus, paru vendu are there anymore.

Any opinions on my choice of car I love VW's bluemotion is more eco friendly. I'm looking for a 2008 model.

http://www.autoscout24.fr/

http://www.automarche.fr/

www.leboncoin.fr for local, generally older vehicles.

You may find the difference between 2008 and new is not as great as you expect, taking into account sales promotions that should improve as the new car market in France is shrinking again. Certainly not as big a difference as in the UK.

Google "VW Golf problems" before you finally decide and try to spot recurring themes.

I wish I had; I bought a nearly new Passat in 2007 and literally from the time it arrived home I've been working through the not inconsiderable number of well documented and expensive B6 Passat issues. Its not a marque I would recommend, and speaking as an engineer, I have no particular respect for current German product design in general.

Bizarrly our dog's car is a 10 year old Punto that is very cleverly designed and issue free, despite the marque's reputation.

Steve

We have had the same difficulties ourselves having read lots of reviews about new VW's, in particular the Passat. We are on the point of buying a 12/07 Passat Bluemotion and have done lots of research, including speaking to 2 UK VW dealers & giving them enough flannel to get the answers we were after. The problems largely seem to revolve around the electronic handbrake. If you end up buying the the Golf from a dealer and it has an electronic handbrake, insist that they change the handbrake switch and upgrade the software. Buying from a dealer, whilst perhaps not the cheapest, will give you the peace of mind of a warranty that means the paper it is written on. We have talked our local dealer down 1300 euros and they are going to service, valet, tax, register & do the software upgrade.

Have a look at this. It gives you details of all the VW's in the country

http://fr.volkswagen.com/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/fr1/0/volkswagen_occasions/recherche_d_un_vehicule0.html

Louise and Gary- I'm not sure that VW dealers are the best people to ask about issues with the cars they sell.

The service, valet, updating, new tyres etc should be the norm for a recent car from a reputable French dealer VW or otherwise.

The handbrake switch change is a panacea, the cause of the fault if or when it occurs is likely to be electronic because the computer takes into account the seat sensor, seat belt sensor, door closed switch, footbrake sensor, clutch sensor, and accelerator sensor, and in some cases (ooh goodie another variable!), their order. Just think about being at the traffic lights, on a ferry or in the centre of London, with all four wheels locked up solid and the car immovable, and ask yourself if you will have confidence in the car afterwards. (Carry a spanner to disconnect the battery briefly; people stare and taxi drivers swear at you and you feel that you're driving a banger, but it worked for me!).

I won't harp on about other common issues, but our car, clearly among many similar models, is working its way through them all, probably the second most common being rear tyre wear regardless of expensive realignment and replacement of rubber bushes, a serious problem as the outside can look like new while in one documented case the wire was sticking through on the inside. I was thinking of this yesterday in the fast lane of the M4 in abominable traffic with five plus dog and luggage. To add insult to injury the SW tyre size is never on special offer here (my budget €600 every 20K KM ie 12 months).

When I bought my Passat, these were already well documented issues, and I have no excuse for making assumptions and not checking beforehand.

Price wise, don't forget the model has just changed, prices will tumble, and dealers should be very keen to sell old models.

If you do decide on a VW, they offered me a five year guarantee with five year finance. I didn't take it, but it would have paid off in the less than two years that our car has been outside guarantee. Incidentally a guarantee on a 2007 car will be an insurance guarantee that probably doesn't mention VW and you should read it carefully. All VWs that had their last scheduled service at a VW centre are covered by a breakdown guarantee.

You guys decide, believe what the VW dealers tell you, but don't come crying to me....................;) I've come to the conclusion that whatever a marque's advertising theme is, the oposite is likely to be true.

Steve

Thanks for the advice guys

I would like to consider other models but I just love volkswagens, from the moment I first sat in a golf TDI I was hooked it felt like it was on rails. I've tried to consider other models but I renault and peugot and opel just put me right off driving, Volvos are boring and citreon is peugot, Fiat are crap and that leaves Dacia, Kia, Hyundai need I say more.

[quote user="crossy67"]Dacia are Renault.  Don't discount Kia and Hyundai, they have come a long long way and their biggest problem now is brand snobbery. [/quote]

And reliability, and residuals, and lack of driving relish . . .
consider car of the year 2009 Insignia  and get a lifetime warranty and not paying for the badge . . .

Gyro said"Thanks for the advice guys

from the moment I first sat in a golf TDI I was hooked it felt like it was on rails. "

The latest model? The previous ones were generally considered well behind the competition in the handling stakes. Focus and Megane are/were considered way best in the class.

I've been loaned various Golfs on the many occasions that my car was being 'repaired' and they did nothing for me. They actually reminded me of much older cars. New Polo was good though, and diesel Yaris.

Steve

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="crossy67"]Dacia are Renault.  Don't discount Kia and Hyundai, they have come a long long way and their biggest problem now is brand snobbery. [/quote]

And reliability, and residuals, and lack of driving relish . . .

consider car of the year 2009 Insignia  and get a lifetime warranty and not paying for the badge . . .

[/quote]

You get one heck of a waranty with Kia and Hyndai.  I drive quite a lot of cars, brand spanking new (not even plated) and well used and both these do make a decent enough car.  New they drive well and still do after several thousand miles. Reliability is not an issue as far as I know.  I can not argue the residual point, you got me there.  But, you do get loads for your money.  Smaller engined Insignia's are tripe, hutless, slow, boring, like living in an old folks home when the most exiting thing you have to wait for is medication or potty time.  The diesel should be much better but I have heard bad things about injectors (every marque has it's bad rumours) and personally know two people that have had to have new fuel pumps after running too low on diesel.

Skoda = VW but a slightly poorer cousin, might be a better bet with fewer gadgets to annoy you or go wrong.  I have heard of issues with VW gearboxes and clutches. 

In short every maker has problems and they do tend to get bad press and blown out of proportion.  Nissan Navaras for instance have an awful reputation with just about everything but my brother in law has one that has been perfect (watch it blow up tomorrow now).  Toyota have had many well documented issues recently and loads not so well documented.  Any one heard of the issues with the 1ZZ engines pre-cats disintegrating and destroying the cylinder bores or the Rav4 engines with similar problems?

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place these days trying to get a decent car, they all have issues even if not well publicised. 

My money would go on a new Volvo, drive lots of them as we have a large main dealer as a very good customer and they never fail to impress (diesels any way) and whilst they are boring, they are made to last.

woolybanana said "Latest Skodas seem good, too. Any feedback?"

Excellent customer satisfaction with the brand in the UK too. There's quite a few new Skoda taxis around here, so there's confidence in them, or more likely special deals to popularise the marque in France (I'm a born cynic). I've read that they're over-priced, but I haven't made comparisons.

Personally, sucker that I am, I couldn't bring myself to shrug off the baggage and buy one.

Steve