Driving through the Alps to Italy in April ~ what are the regs?

friend of stouby

Hello again

We may make a pleasure/business driving trip through to Greece in April. The route is 03000 Moulins - Mont Blanc Tunnel - Milano - Bari - Greece

The question is, as we are travelling from Macon onwards on autoroute only, are chains or winter tyres mandatory?

The are several reasons for asking -

We have the choice of two vehicles with different wheel sizes so different chain sizes?

If driving only on autoroutes, do regs for winter driving apply re chains or tyres or as the autoroutes are kept relatively clear is it different as we are purely passing through the area? (We travel to and from the UK about every 4 weeks and no one has suggested we use chains even though we have met snow on both of the last 2 trips, each way).

Is it a better option to drive down the Rhone valley and across to Torino a better but longer option to avoid snow or having to buy chains?

All opinions gratefully received

There is no requirement to have snow chains on the autoroutes.

By April there "probably" won't be any snow unless you start going up the mountian roads.

As far as I can recall snow chains are only a compulsory requirement on the mountain roads and there are signs to tell you that if there is snow on the road you must put on the chains.

In my experience the Autoroutes are well gritted if required. Main roads are usually clear a day or two after a large 'dump' of snow.

However, whenever I have driven the Alps in the winter/spring I have always been happy in the knowledge that I had a set of chains in the boot, even when I had a 4x4. The only time I got to use them was a month ago here in the UK !!!

It really is up to you whether you feel the investment is worth it. If you have them then you probably will never need them, if you haven't .........................

When bad weather closes in the Italian or Swiss customs officers ask to see your chains before they let you continue (or did when we lived there).

In April you won't need chains on the roads you intend to travel on. I'll be there in early March and I'm not buying any.

The approaches to the St Bernard tunnel are clear throughout the year. I would prefer to go over the pass.

Smaller passes are closed throughout the winter, some not open until June. see: www.alpineroads.com/passes.php

You'll need to buy a vignette at the border at 30€ I think, to use the autoroutes, but the alternative roads are OK.

Steve

Thanks very much. After reading all the above we'll probably look at the forcast a week ahead and travel without chains if there are no adverse or unusual weather conditions.

A few years ago we had planned an alpine road trip to take in a couple of the higher road passes within France. There were weather reports that a severe storm had struck the Alps but we decided to travel anyway 2 days after the storm. We were amazed at seeing 2m+ of snow had fallen and all roads perfectly clear, this was mid June.

Thanks again