insurance write off UK/France

Frank

Hi, Hope some one can help. If a car repair is going to be higher than the value of the car, do French insurance companies operate the same way as the uk with regard to buying back the car if it is a category d write off, please? Any advice/links etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Jetlag

Code de la route Article L327-1:

"Les entreprises d'assurances tenues à un titre quelconque à indemniser les dommages à un véhicule dont un rapport d'expertise fait apparaître que le montant des réparations est supérieur à la valeur de la chose assurée au moment du sinistre doivent dans les quinze jours suivant la remise du rapport d'expertise proposer une indemnisation en perte totale avec cession du véhicule à l'assureur. Le propriétaire du véhicule dispose de trente jours pour donner sa réponse."

In case you don't understand French, the insurer appoints an independent expert to examine the vehicle.  If the expert reports that the cost of repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle, the insurer must make you a total loss offer within fifteen days of receiving the report.  You then have thirty days in which to respond to the offer.

The offer will be based on the Argus value of the vehicle and may be adjusted to take into account any special equipment fitted and/or recent high value repairs carried out.

If you accept the offer, you send the insurer a signed déclaration de cession plus the gendarmerie notice of withdrawal of the carte grise (avis de retrait conservatoire du certificat d'immatriculation).  You then receive your cheque.

• 2 weeks later...
SD what did you mean by 'the Argus value' ?  Is it like Glass's Guide ?  I'm asking because I'd like to know roughly what the write-off value of a 14 year-old Volvo S70/T5/auto/essence is likely to be. I'm about to tackle its re-insurance, and there seems little point in fully-comp @ 440E if the write-off value is going to be about E250.

I'm sure the smooth-talking chap from the insurance office is going to try to bamboozle me with figures, but it's a (comfortable but) tired old clunker used for local shopping, which I intend to run until something expensive (like a light cluster or a windscreen-wiper blade) goes and then I'll write it off.

I'm going to see him tomorrow, so some ammo would be nice !

p

Argus is indeed similar to the UK Glasses Guide. You can buy Argus in any good newsagent. You have to use it with care as there are lots of points to take into account [higher than average mileage for example].

Had a write off here a few years ago. Got the value I wanted and was able to keep the salvage too.