Re-matriculation

sueyh

We have French friends who went to the UK to purchase a car. Having bought

it, they returned to France and posted off to DVLA for the V5. They have been

sent a V561 Certificate of Permanent Export. Our friend has phoned the

prefecture at Arras and has been told that it is obligatory to have the V5 and

that no other form will be permitted. Where does she go from here.

Thanks in anticipation.

Suey

It sounds like the seller was being ultra cautious and would not release the V5 to the (French) buyer, instead filling out the change of ownership details and sending it to the DVLA and giving them the tear off slip, its many years since I had a UK registered car but I think that is the way it works and had heard of others encountering the same difficulties.

Actually I do still have a UK registered and SORNED vehicle, they recently sent me a new red V5 to replace the old blue one with some guff about some V5 blank forms being stolen, I doubt that is the real reason for re-issuing millions of logbooks, anyone know what is really behind it?

I have yet another UK registered vehicle (makes my first paragraph a total lie - no?), this one has been off the road since the early 80's, I registered it in my name before the advent of SORN and as it was untaxed at the time I thankfully dont have to jump through the SORN hoops for that one, they have not however re-issued a V5 for it as I guess to them it may well have been scrapped years ago, I dont really want to demand a red V5 as then I expect the Sorn would become operative and the vehicle is stored in France, I can see when I finally get around to restoring it and registering it in France that a blue V5 will not be acceptable, knowing the French they will have already implemented it!!!

I will cross the bridge when it comes but I can foresee having to take it back to the UK to re-re-register it possibly involving an inspection at a local vehicle licensing office, oh how I miss battling with those guys, at least it stood me in good stead for France [;-)]

"Our friend has phoned the prefecture at Arras and has been told that it is obligatory to have the V5 and that no other form will be permitted".

Not according to the official Public Service information website.........

Acquisition d'un véhicule d'occasion à l'étranger

Pièces à produire

Ancien certificat d'immatriculation du véhicule (si le document a été conservé par les autorités administratives du pays étranger, il faut fournir une pièce officielle certifiant que le certificat a été retiré ou bien un certificat international délivré par les autorités du pays étranger)

The V561 certificate of permanent export is such a "une pièce officielle".

I suggest your friends go in person to their prefecture and, if necessary, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Ah but Arras is just up the road from me, far removed from Sunday Driverland [:P]

Forgive me for taking the micky but you did yourself use the phrase in a recent posting, when you wrote that the person behind the counter was miserable or a dragon (cant recall the exact phrase) I got excited and thought so its not all cheerfullness and efficiency there, then I read that she ended up smiling and you wrote something like "efficiency is alive and kicking in Sundayland" which took the wind out of my sails [:(]

I quite enjoy the challenge here but when I tire of it I am moving to Sundayland.

Please take the above in jest and dont stop posting great advice like the above to the OP, I can imagine that being French they were very worried.

I have used the export certificate twice at Niort with no issues. Indeed, because both vehicles had been purchased tax free and exported to Italy I did not wish to muddy the waters; however, Niort was not impressed with the SOFA documentation issued in Italy but were content with the export paperwork originally provided by DVLA.

Hotel d'Impot in Melle were very interested in all our documentation, especially since one vehicle was 6 months and 3 days old - there used to be a particularly awkward blonde lady in there (I did laugh at the number of times she checked the calendar - not happy when forced to concur with my assessment).