Cookers

Hi there

I am debating as to whether to move my range cooker out with me in december, or leave it at my Uk house, and purchase a French range cooker so it is easier to install ( i.e gas connections)  Has anyone out there any advice as to what the simplest solution would be - - 1) How hard is it to convert to france , as when I contacted Belling they informed me that the Gas Burners would have to be changed.  Also I haven't really had any joy finding a £1000 range cooker in france - as they all seem to be chef professional cookers - nearer the £3000 mark.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  Our area is in the Pyrenees, near to Tarbes

Many Thanks

Paula

I would take what they say with a pinch of salt to be honest. People do bring UK natural gas cookers to France and they can be adjusted with a kit to suit Butane or Propane. I was told the same thing back in 1990 when I had a lovely expensive Cannon cooker and had to leave it behind when we moved a couple of years later on and since then,have found we could have converted it easily,but not being in the know back then with no internet etc or anyone english here to ask first. It may pay you to visit someone who deals with gas cookers in the way of repairs and get them to phone with the technical details etc.

[quote]Hi there I am debating as to whether to move my range cooker out with me in december, or leave it at my Uk house, and purchase a French range cooker so it is easier to install ( i.e gas connection...[/quote]

Belling are quite right, you will need to change the jets to Butane/Propane (they are the same), assuming that you do not have natural gas where you are going, in which case it will work.

They should have told you that they are easy to change and that they can supply them, Belling do LPG versions of most of their cookers and have done so for ages.

One word of warning, though; If you have electric ovens, ensure that they are not more than (about) 3KW - electricity supplies are somewhat limited in France and you may have problems running them (I have a Stoves double oven rated at 5.5Kw and it took us over a year to get the supply rewired and upgraded so that we could use it).

Take a look at the Bocuse range from Rosières at:

http://www.rosieres.fr/produits/bocuse/gamme.htm

We've got one of these in our largest gite and it is fabulous - especially when we are in there for Christmas with our family !

Not too cheap however - probably around €3,000 but available from all decent electromenager shops.

Don't worry too much about power consumption of ovens - they tend to not be s bad as many people think. Electric hobs on the other hand gobble up the kilowatts so stick with gas on the top if you can (a standard bottle lasts months).

If Belling will sell you the LPG jets for your oven then it is a fairly simple matter to replace them and that should be all you need to do. It would however be a big heavy item to bring with you so you should take into account the removal costs.

Good luck.