Automated (24 hour) Fuel Pump Issue

Moulin85

This issue may be well-known to everyone else here but it caught me out!

With a significant number of places now unwilling to take cheques and the dramatic increase in un-manned petrol stations, I recently got myself a Pre-Paid Euro Debit Card. Everything was great until last week.

Went into my local E.Leclerc, pulled up to the 24hr pump, punched in the pin number ok and promptly had the transaction refused! Went to another pump and the same thing happened. Embarrassed I drove home and phoned Card Services.

According to the very nice young lady she gets more calls about this issue than any other.

Apparently when you put your card into an automated pump it asks the card company for authorisation to the maximum amount the pump can deliver in one transaction, in this case 130€. The line stays open until you finish filling up at which point the pump asks for the actual amount. So, although I had 100€ still on the card and only wanted 50 litres, the card was refused! She went on to say that new pumps are asking for 150€!

Please be aware therefore that if you plan on using a 24hr fuel pump at any time you will need at least 150€ available on any Credit or Debit Card.

Not so trusting here, the maximum you can fill is €69, for the first time ever I was unable to fill my vehicle up from empty, I have a very economical vehicle with a small fuel tank, how do you drivers of Chelsea tractors get on, do you have to fill up twice?

True, but not unique for France. This is the worldwide standard procedure and sometimes even visible in your bank account as time passes between crediting the full amount and debiting the difference. This may sometimes takes a full day or more in case of a problem. But  the transaction is always recalculated to the original transaction date/time and therefore usually invisible.