Registering UK car in France - Do I still need a CofC?

Ian

I've just bought a (used) UK car, which I want to register in France next week. I needed a CofC for my last car, but the V5C with this one quotes both a VIN and a "Type Approval Number".

I don't suppose that either/both of these obviate the need for a CofC?

Cheers

Technically the V5C has all the details they need, but I will be astounded if they take it instead of asking for CofC.

They don't do "progress" , so a CofC is what they have had in the past, and is what they will continue asking for.

As AnOther said...suck it and see, but expect to get your wallet out (however if it's a Jag, contact Jag UK for a french version of the CofC...they conveniently forgot to charge me for it [:D] )

Ian there is no apparent logic to it as sometimes the numbers on the V5 are accepted and sometimes not.

If you can persuade the prefecture to actually type the numbers in you may be lucky.

As AnOther has said, it really is a case of suck it and see.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just about to apply to Ford France for the CoC, as instructed by Ford UK. Main reason is, I'm going to be delayed waiting for the V5C to be transferred to my name, so I don't want any more delays because they also then need a CoC.

(Interestingly, FF want a copy of an invoice for new headlights with the application....)

Cheers

Interesting.

Isn't that an option only if I have a purchase invoice, showing that Person X (on the V5C) sold it to me? That's not the case here - I bought it from a dealer, but the V5C is still in the name of the original owner.

I guess if I had a bill of sale from Person X.....

??

AnOther is right (again!) .. you don't need it in your name...but a receipt from X to you would be more than useful.

We had a problem this last time as we bought the car from someone who had bought it at auction. So the receipt we had didn't have the name of the person on the V5. Trying to explain that to the prefecture was like trying to pull teeth!! We convinced them in the end though...they really can't think outside the box sometimes, but that is endemic in french society so you can't really get angry with them as they know no better

For best results at the prefecture, print out whatever paperwork you think they may need yourself.

A hand written bill of sale is easy... or ten minutes with a word processor will get you a sales receipt from an imaginary car dealership or auction, and if you need to provide an invoice for LHD headlights to Ford, then look up the name and siret number of a breakers yard and print out a receipt from them using the word processor.

Its all completely pointless but necessary paperwork to give the prefecture something to stamp and put away in a filing cabinet in the basement where it never sees the light of day again.

Do you believe that they are going to call up Honest Joe's Car Sales, Main Road, London and check that the receipt is genuine?

I have come to the conclusion that they refuse dossiers when it is something out of the ordinary, simply because they don't really know what they are doing compared to the daily plod of normal registration transfers on French cars, so would rather just refuse you on some spurious "missing paper / computer says no" reason than risk looking incompetent.

Provide them with enough paperwork to cover any eventuality and they will merrily stamp away, despite not being able to read English in many cases, simply because its an official-looking paper with the right numbers/names on it.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]the receipt we had didn't have the name of the person on the V5. Trying to explain that to the prefecture was like trying to pull teeth![/quote]What has the receipt got to do with the prefecture ?

It's only for the quittus that you need it after which it's worthless piece of paper which need never see the light of day again.

Thanks for the replies, dave21478 and HoneySuckleDreams.

I have a real Bill of Sale from the garage who sold me the car (actually a Citroen dealer, that might help), so I'm OK there. I've also got the invoice for the headlights, so that's also OK.

But, if I was a french functionaire, I'd feel happier if I could see a link between the V5C and me. Like, for example, a bill of sale, from Person X to me. Maybe it would be better to have one of those than the actual one from the garage - that would save the sort of discussion you had, HoneySuckleDreams.

Hmmmmm....

Nope...in this instance the Quittus was a formality.

It was the prefecture that demanded a receipt to show proof of ownership. I have mentioned before on other threads that they (the "french") make it up as they go along. Seemingly to make it difficult for us, I guess it helps pass the day. However...they are the ones with the official tampon, so we must jump the hoops, whilst juggling numerous balls, and whistling dixie...we do as they command. Nothing is consistent here. If they feel like making you perform, then that is what you have to do. I've become quite adept at whistling dixie...backwards in some circumstances

(Maybe I've been lucky, but most functionaires I've met have been helpful. Now could be the moment my luck runs out, though....)

As I understand it, in order to get a Quittus Fiscal, I need to show a Bill of Sale from the garage. That won't be a problem.

Then, I take the QF to the Prefecture, who don't normally ask to see the Bill of Sale. Is that right? However, they MAY ask, and/or they MAY be concerned that my name isn't on the V5C (as yours wasn't).

At that stage, a Bill of Sale between Person X and me would be useful. Just to allay their concerns and make the situation clear, you understand.

If that's the way the system works, I think I can see a way though the maze.

Cheers

The quittus itself is effectively proof of ownership and places the vehicle under French jurisdiction as of the date of issue, it's why you need a receipt to get it !

If your prefecture are playing silly games and wanting receipts for the registration then do as Dave suggests, knock one up on your PC or give me the details and I'll do it for you !

Even when you are in possession of a receipt from the ex owner named on the V5 quite how such a random and completely unformulated and unofficial piece of paper proves ownership can only exist in the tiny mind of a French fonc!

Thanks, AnOther, I understand better, now.

A few minutes playing around with LibreOffice, and I'll be ready for them.

(If the next posting comes from La Bastille, you'ii know it all went horribly wrong..........)

Cheers