Car insurance recommendations for a new car owner

mogs

Our daughter is buying a car after driving for 2 years.

She did her driving with ECF and had the 2 year accompanied driving which helped her pass her test the first time.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable insurance company please.

With Groupama they put me as the responsible adult for my son when he bought a nearly new car after trading in his first car from passing his test. It reduced the insurance down by some €250 than if he had insured it in his name. My name appeared on the paperwork as a named driver and him as principal driver. Insurance can be tailored to suit and also for the excess part which can be as much as €500 for newly qualified drivers on their own insurance.

Our daughter will be the owner as she's bought the car from her own savings, and will therefore be the owner on the CofI, so will that make a difference to the insurance if we ask to be the named driver?

[quote user="mogs"]Our daughter will be the owner as she's bought the car from her own savings, and will therefore be the owner on the CofI, so will that make a difference to the insurance if we ask to be the named driver?[/quote]

Absolutely not. My son took out a bank loan in his name only and the carte grise was in his name only but to save all that money it was suggested by the insurers that I was the name on the policy with my son also named as main driver.When his three years of "A"probation finished, he took over the policy completely in his name and received a reduction too! You need to get several devis and have a good chat with the insurance agencies to see who is offering the best, with us we already had six policies with the same company so they offered us a good deal.

Thanks all, looks like a bit of visiting around insurance agents is on next week.

One problem I'm having with trying to get online quotes is understanding all the details on the carte gris, like CV??

I'm sure there was a post on here a while ago detailing what it all means but I sure can't find it.

CV is the motor power. My little Ford Ka 1.2 is rated fiscally as 4CV yet my 30year old VW Scirocco GTX is rated 9CV. You can google the explaination online. Basically the higher the CV rating, the bigger the engine and the more expensive the carte grise and insurance will be!