30 kph limits

Jonzjob

It would appear that the French are looking to cause much more pollution in the towns now. And make more cash out of frustrated drivers. 30 kph in my car and most other means 3rd gear!

I agree that it's needed in certain places, schools for one, but a blanket 30??

http://mobilisezvous.liguedesconducteurs.org/non-aux-villes-a-30-merci/

In some ways it is ridiculous, too slow.

But, friends in France who have to drive in the city I lived in when I first moved to France complain bitterly, as it feels like the mickey is being taken by the powers that be......... as the traffic is often that bad that they crawl at 10kph, when they are moving.

Ha! Our MD's driver told me back in the 90's that his average speed in London was 9 mph!

Our village centre in France has had a 30kph limit for quite a few years, in common with most of the local villages. Mind you, I'd like to see anyone drive around these villages in 4th (or 5th, or 6th) gear. With the number of junctions, bends and speed bumps, I'd be surprised if you could do that with or without the speed limit. The only time there's a burst of speed is when they close the roads for the annual cycle race.

LOL Betty you have jogged my memory.

When the limit in our village went down to 50, a friend of mine was in a discussion about this at a meeting at the Mairie. 'Impossible' was the cry about this, how could anyone crawl along like this. And my friend said, use 3rd.

He was laughing as he told me, as he said that everyone just looked at him incredulously, one bloke saying that one did not drive in 3rd!..........donc, it was 'impossible'!

Crikey, my old French boss back in the 80's used to change down to overtake on motorways..in those far-off days of the 4 speed gearbox. I remember on each occasion I travelled with him, wondering if I'd end up wearing the engine block as a necklace. ?