Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

wfdTamar

Good grief what a thing to happen! I hope you got all your furniture back and it wasn't held hostage for too long?

Well obviously there would be no legal way to claim ownership of a car that hasn't got your name on the carte grise, there would have to be trust involved. There would also have to be trust by the friend that the OP will pay any traffic fines that are sent to him. So yes, maybe not such a great idea after all if the two parties don't know each other well.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Good grief what a thing to happen! I hope you got all your furniture back and it wasn't held hostage for too long?

Well obviously there would be no legal way to claim ownership of a car that hasn't got your name on the carte grise, there would have to be trust involved. There would also have to be trust by the friend that the OP will pay any traffic fines that are sent to him. So yes, maybe not such a great idea after all if the two parties don't know each other well.[/quote]

I did say he died before we got around to taking up his offer [;-)]

I'm afraid that plans involving "friends" and creative paperwork to circumvent bureaucratic problems are often doomed.

I don't even accept offers of the loan of a friend's car any longer.

[quote user="nomoss"]

I'm afraid that plans involving "friends" and creative paperwork to circumvent bureaucratic problems are often doomed.

I don't even accept offers of the loan of a friend's car any longer.

[/quote]

I agree, quickest way to lose a friend.  Have Aussie neighbours who are only here for 3 months in the summer.  He already leaves all his keys with us and this month, we had to pick up a fairly heavy item for his house, coordinating with the shop, ringing up, signing for it, etc.

Then he wanted us to keep the item until he comes back next summer.  Now I am pretty easy-easy going but our sous sol is chock a block with the usual gardening stuff plus lots of furniture that I am waiting to put into our house.  As it is, we can hardly walk around the sous sol and I fear that either OH or I will trip and fall and break this damned thing he wants us to keep.

Apparently, he has told OH he doesn't like other people going inside his house in his absence.  I quickly lost it at that point and I took his keys and put his item into his house.  I told OH that if the Aussie doesn't like me entering his house, he can have all his keys back as, if it's such a big deal to him, then he shouldn't be asking us to be his key-holder.

Lots of other stuff like that so that I feel thoroughly put upon and that is probably the last time I do anything for him that would save him money and give me nothing but a load of inconvenience.

Not saying you'd act like that, OP, but I think it's best to find a legitimate way to do things and keep your friends[:)]

[quote user="nomoss"]

I don't even accept offers of the loan of a friend's car any longer.[/quote]

[quote user="mint"]

I agree, quickest way to lose a friend.  he can have all his keys back as, if it's such a big deal to him, then he shouldn't be asking us to be his key holder......................................................Lots of other stuff like that so that I feel thoroughly put upon and that is probably the last time I do anything for him that would save him money and give me nothing but a load of inconvenience.[/quote]

You should both consider taking a leaf out of the 'signature' at the end of my posts.

Boy, if I wasn't there 9 months of the year I'd welcome someone popping in to check things. Probably offer that you store stuff in my place. Very hard to take care of things from Australia. You would hope that in return for you being custodian of their chateau in their absence at least they'd be VERY appreciative and helpful when there. If all you get is a 'Ta mate' I'd be very curt. I'm not the sort to ask for help, but in some cases it'd be nice. If things end up being all one way, you do end up a bit disgruntled.

If you're going to make arrangements like that you have to see it from the other persons point of view (I mean them of you). In my case asking someone to register a car, I thought her being able to use it when I'm not there would be good. Yes, there is trust on both sides. The speeding fines and I would hope she'd maintain it (I thought an electric car would solve most of that).

I do wonder if being a selfish pig is an Australian trait or universal. I seem to be surrounded by terribly selfish people at home in Tasmania. I don't know if it's just my immediate surrounds, Tasmania, Australia, or does this happen anywhere in the world?

Me, if I plan on doing something that might affect my neighbours, I consider how to least inconvenience them. Putting in air con?, place the outside unit away from their bedroom. I abide by noise regs. On the other hand they do what they want, when they want. Power tools at 8pm - fine. Dogs barking at all hours, music blaring, swearing, pumps 24/7, wood heater smoke....the list goes on. (rant over).

[quote user="mint"]
Lots of other stuff like that so that I feel thoroughly put upon and that is probably the last time I do anything for him that would save him money and give me nothing but a load of inconvenience.

Not saying you'd act like that, OP, but I think it's best to find a legitimate way to do things and keep your friends[:)] [/quote]

I most definely agree, unfortunately it also seems the case if they are Australians.

They are very outgoing, and helpful in the extreme, but expect others to be the same, sometimes thinking they are asking small favours, when in fact they are asking more than they realise.

My wife and I found a house, handled the veiwing, offers, dealt with th Notaire over complicated land issues, and the entire purchase for close Australian relatives. They came to France just to sign the Acte, and left for a visit to the UK a couple of days later, en route home.

As soon as they returned home they sent me an email with a long list of further "favours" - dealing with workmen, furniture suppliers, etc., and couldn't understand why I told them enough was enough.

I apologised for my shortness next time we met. The response was "But we just asked you to make a couple of phone calls".

I think that's more to do with the distance than that they're Australian. Probably extremely difficult to do that kind of thing from that far and a different time zone & language. UK people have a similar reputation in Australia. Hence - 'whinging Pom's'. Actually the whinging pom thing is more from how some are when they get here - they expect Shangri La and find it's just another place with good and bad points.

I remember a very funny TV show about UK people that had come here, but decided to go back. One woman didn't like the birds, 'not tweet, tweet like our birds, but shriek and squark' (I think cockatoos).

I had an English girlfriend that had emigrated with hubby and kids, then gone back, then come back to Australia. Later got divorced - turns out that was the problem, not the place. :-)

Maybe there's a good business in caring for foreigners French pads?

Hahaha! When I (briefly) lived in Australia, I was out with colleagues when a woman they knew arrived and started banging on about whinging poms....after her spleen had been well and truly vented, she turned to me and asked who I was, so I said I was a whinging Pom. She was mildly embarrassed.

Conversely, we had a series of brilliant Australian nannies when our kids were small. However, one of them had a mum who came over to do a three month stint at a UK university, and in order to do so she had to bring over her youngest son with her. It transpired that mum seriously thought she could them dump her son with his sister (and me) for the duration..so I had to explain why it didn't really work like that.

Caring for foreigners' French pads? I think that particular boat sailed (and subsequently ran aground) about 10 years ago.

Whoopsy (she put her foot in it).

Do you mean sailed for you (you're over work), or the idea has been done and failed?

I think the 'whinging' part of whinging Pom came from post war immigration (ten pound poms - what it cost then) when you'd get the English shop steward type come to (hopefully) a workers paradise and find all the same apathy and conditions as at home. Mind you, I whinge about that and I was born here :-)

Brings to mind another TV reference - a Peter Sellers movie where he plays one of them. Very funny. I think this is it (I'm All Right Jack) :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052911/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_54

and the Pom bit has various theories, the one of which is POHM (Prisoner Of His/Her Majesty) printed on convict garb. Not sure if it actually was on them. I think a lot of my neighbours must be descended from convicts, as they certainly behave like criminals.

Another is from Pomegranite (a sunburnt new arrival being the same colour as), but I find it hard to believe they even knew what that was.

Ten years ago ( or a bit more now) the idea of "property management" was one of the many many revenue streams being considered, used and ultimately abandoned by armies of Brits moving to France as early retirees and looking for a fast buck. It's pretty much fizzled out, along with the people who were doing it.

My favourite Alexei Sayle joke (you may know him, I think he's toured in Australia). On his first trip, arriving at passport control in Australia

Official: "Name."

AS: "Alexei Sayle"

Official: "Profession?"

AS: "Comedian"

Official: "Do you have a criminal record?"

AS: "I didn't know you still needed one"