car insurance

James2

Hi, I need some advice relating to car insurance.

When I switched to a different insurance agent, they advised me my previous insurance would be cancelled. Unfortunately, my previous insurer has direct debited my bank account with another years premium, so my car is now insured TWICE !!

Numerous emails to my current insurance agent have not produced a refund, although they assured me cancellation notices were sent in time. ANY THOUGHTS??

I responded to another similar question a while back. Briefly, you are not only owed a refund, but, if your old insurer hangs onto the money beyond a specified time, they are legally obliged to refund you interest too.

Start by sending the old insurer a lettre de mise en demure (plenty of examples of standard letters online) basically giving them notice to comply and stating that you will be expecting interest too, as the law dictates. If your agent is dealing, it smacks of them potentially hanging onto the money and they need to be "reminded" of the law...Did you pay an agent or direct to the insurer?

Also, if your bank has paid without your permission...did you cancel the DD?

Thanks for the info, I checked out the letter of demure and will give it a try.

No, I did not cancel the DD as I was assured by the new insurance agent they would deal with everything.( on hindsight, I should of cancelled the DD )

Payment of premiums were paid to both insurance agents, not the insurers.