Products for fosse septique

Rob G

Hi,

We've moved from the UK to Normandy (76) in the last couple of months.

We've bought a house with a fosse septique, so obviously have to be

careful about what products we use in the house. We have some stuff to

put down the loo once a week, but really my question is around what

sort of products we can use for cleaning the kitchen sink and bathroom.

We've been told to avoid anything with "Javel" (which I understand is

bleach), but haven't yet found anything else which comes close to the

same level of cleaning power.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

I must admit I hadn't given this a lot of thought.  A spot of Cif for kitchens and bathrooms is probably so dilute by the time it hits the fosse it makes no difference.  You can buy loo blocks which, although marked to contain javel are also marked 'sans danger pour les fosse septiques'.  I think this must be on the same principle, it is only a little.

There is a whole range of products produced by one manufacturer that's specifically designed for use with the fosse system. I think it's called Septifosse, and they all have a bright orange label/bottle or whatever to make them stand out on the shelf. I haven't got anything to hand at the moment to check (wrong house) but I know my wife insists we use it. Not sure how effective the stuff is compared to traditional UK-type brands - perhaps someone else has more experience? - but the range includes toilet cleaners, Cif-type products, washing-up liquid etc.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not convinced that using Cif is a good

idea. Even if it does end up being diluted, I'm not taking any chances.

We've only been here two months and already discovered no end of issues

with the general functioning of various appliances and systems in the

house.

Thumper, you mentioned a product that you think is called Septifosse.

I've done a quick Google search and can't find any references to that,

so I'm assuming it's something slightly different. I would be really

grateful if you could have a look when you get a chance and you're in

the right house and let us know what it's called.

Many thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob G. I've checked, and I'm pretty sure it is Septifosse. I tried a search on Google.fr, and a handful of links came up. One was to the AngloInfo website, where there was a lengthy page of info on the Fosse Septique. One element of that page came as something of a revelation, in as much as the regulations relating to maintainence and emptying of the system have changed as of this month, January 2006.

It is now required by French law (apparently) that only registered pumping companies may be contracted to empty your fosse, and the use of anyone not registered is an offence liable to hefty fines. What's more, as owners of a fosse septique, we are now required to keep an accurate record of all maintenace carried out on the fosse, including every pump-out. The authorised pumping company is now supposed to issue a certificate each time it empties the fosse. If asked to do so by an inspector, you should be able to present this record and associated certificates and it must be up-to-date and accurate.

Finally, under the new regulation, the fosse septique must be emptied (by one of these registered companies) every four years, on average.

This was all news to me, and may be to others as well. I've no idea when ours was last emptied, but I bet it was more than four years ago.

What waste water goes to a soakaway rather than the fosse?

Also, should ladies make other arrangements for getting rid of certain monthly items? I've tried to phrase that as delicately as I can.

I have a friend who uses false teeth cleaning tablets to clean her sink, leaves a couple in a sink of water overnight and then just sponge of the residue, I haven't tried it myself.

The general rule of thumb is that nothing should be flushed down the toilet unless you've eaten it first.

The exception is loo paper, of course, but resist the temptation to take thick, strong and very, very long rolls out with you from the UK. French toilet paper is feeble, thin and confidence-sapping for a reason - it's designed to break down rapidly in the fosse. Ladies, delicate or otherwise, should certainly make other arangements, and the worst sin of all is to flush disposable nappies down the loo. It's mind-boggling to think that some people in the UK attempt this with mains sewerage, let alone septic tanks.

Going back to the earlier post, I've since discovered that the correct spelling is Septifos. Sorry about that.

Thanks, Thumper, for the confirmation. We'll look out for it when we next go shopping.

I had heard that there were some new regs coming in in January.

Apparently, as well as the regs you mentioned, the inspectors can come

and ask to inspect the fosse at any time, and if they find any aspect

of it not to be up to the required european standards, they can demand

that you have it put right within a set time limit. I have no reason to

think that there's anything wrong with our fosse, except of course what

seems to be the usual standard of workmanship in France....

Rob

I don't allow anything down our toilet but that which is eaten or drank first and the proper toilet paper. Not paper tissues, no sanitary items what so ever.

I do use some of the scented javels though as some of those are biodegradable and I don't use them that often anyway.