Invoicing from France

Goosey

Hello all, I will be carrying on my freelance work when I move to France (illustrator). I will continue to work 99% of the time for clients in the UK. When I begin to invoice them from France, will I invoice in Euros and include TVA? I intend to be taxed in France, I just don't want to confuse my UK clients. If for example I quoted 500 for an illustration, would I then send them an invoice for the equivalent of 500 in Euros at the going exchange rate, plus TVA?

Confused.

You should strictly invoice them in euros, you only charge TVA if you register for TVA, but not if you are registered as a microenterprise. If you accept sterling the sterling bank account should be brought into your French account balance sheet, and the income received converted to euros in turnover in the normal way.
The invoice can be in euros and then you can show the client the amount you will accept in sterling - you set the rate not them!
If you are going to register for TVA, invoices for goods to a UK address include Fr TVA unless the UK business is also VAT registered. All invoices to TVA or VAT registered businesses need to carry the TVA/VAT number (numero intercommunitaire) of the client as well as yours -as from 01/01/04.
Watch out for UK customers paying in euros on a UK bank cheque - this will incur a charge when you bank it in your French bank.

Suze

Get this wrong and you are in deep trouble - go and see an accountant and take advice, keep that advice in writing and follow it.

We have done this and so far still work under our UK Ltd company and charge in sterling - no VAT. If we cannot sort out the health issue (which may have a resolution) we will have to go down the French company route but will always give a sterling price for them to pay (with the original Euro price on the invoice) - the risk of confusing a client is the risk of losing a client.

I often download software for use for a specific client or pay their US domain fees - this I charge at the sterling rate shown on my credit card - with $ equivalent on the invoice.

What I do could and would be questioned by others - but this is the advice I have had and taken. Each person needs individual advice as to their curcumstances - it is worth the cost.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk