>up a campsite in France?
>Trying to get an idea
>on viability/red tape etc...
>
>Cheers!
>
>Lu

Lu,

You would not believe the amount of red tape and the number of different government and local official departments who would need to be involved.

Even a small camping a la ferme has its rules and regs (if done legally that is of course, we know of a couple that describe themselves as such and are acting quite illegally)

To open something simple such as a 25 emplacement site with electric hook ups and a toilet block will cost a bomb and I promise you, you will have been through one hell of a game by the time you get it open.

Far better to buy an already trading campsite, maybe a run down site and, one you think you can do a far better job with than the sellers.

If you are talking 50 plus, then unless you have a bottomless wallet, forget it.

I am sorry but the list is too long to describe, of the how to's and who to ask's and where do I start etc.
It is extremely hard to open a medium to large site from scratch (open field and nothing else) and I would be very interested to hear of any Brit who has done such a thing.

Miki

Step one is to have a word with your local Maire. There is usually a small number of emplacements which is accaptable without too much red tape (6 in our area). We found the Mairie very helpful and they went out of their way to make our set up seamless however, a small campsite/B&B is not the sort of business to rely on as a sole source of income. After three years, year one was not too bad, year two was a disaster (possibly BSE) but year three exceeded all expectations, having our own website has been a major contributor. Year four has already started with visitors this week and many forward bookings from as as far afield as Japan, quite a few being repeats from last year so we must be doing something right.
Through all this, the Maire always asks how business is and the Mairie helps with photocopying of docs, advice etc free of charge. They are delighted that our small commune campsite is always busier than the local towns bigger municipal sites.

>Can anyone tell us about setting
>up a campsite in France?
>Trying to get an idea
>on viability/red tape etc...

Sorry no idea about setting up campsite but the one's we have camped at on the Atlantic coast always seem to be well and truly packed during July and August - mainly by French, German and Dutch tourists. But these are large sites with loads to offer (and coastal locations) and I have no idea what they are like the other 10 months.

As the others have said, choose your area carefully. There are plenty of areas of outstanding beauty but any successful campsites on the market at these locations or on the coast will be very expensive.

You have to remember also that France has excellent municipal campsites all over the country that are fairly cheap to stay at and very well run. We chose municipal sites to stay at because on the whole they had better facilities and in prettier locations than private sites.

Best of luck....helen