Farming

Goforit

Does anybody know the criteria for setting up as a Farmer? We have some land and I am currently going through either the Micro or Sarl route when the Chambre de Metiers pull their fingers out!
However it occured to me that the farmers get all the breaks here, and I was wondering. Could I set up as both? and utilise the benefits of both sytems
1.Is there a minimum area of land that has to be cultivated to qualify, if, for example growing apples ?

Any experiences greatly recieved

Regards

Steve

Sorry,

I didn't make myself clear, I am setting up a seperate business through the chambre de metiers, I just wondered if anyone had any experience of operating as a farmer as well on a very small basis, and if there were any advantages to be had.

regards

Steve

There is a land qualification to register as an agriculteur, it does change but I think is about 21hectares. It is more advantageous to be a farmer as the cotisations and tax breaks are much more generous. It would not allow you to work as a builder say as well; for that you would have to register at chambre des metiers. It is difficult for one person to have 2 registrations; usually one member of the household has one and another the other type.
You would pay 2 lots of cotisations but not tax; as you would be taxed on the whole family income anyway.
Suze

It depends what you farm. We have a rare, ornemental and traditional poultry farm on 5 hectares and we are registered with the Chamber of Agriculture and our social contributions (and benefits) come through the MSA (Mutualite Societe Agricole -excuse the lack of accents with this keyboard).

It took us several months to find out what hoops we had to jump through. My suggestion would be to go to your local MSA who will steer you in the right direction depending on what you want to do. They were great and notified the DSV, DDAS, CERGIV etc on our behalf. Be careful, because some things (eg, normal poultry farming) have quotas which are full in many regions (for example in Brittany they have too many conventional poultry farms, so any applications for new farms are likely to be refused).

There are plenty of rumours that you need a minimum amount of acreage to be eligible for all the social benefits, pension etc. However I believe the truth is that if you farm, say, barn raised rabbits, or have a small milking herd of goats you do not need much surface hectarage. (Those small businesses making homemade goat's cheese are still farmers, after all). I'm sure the same is not true for cattle farmers, or those needing large amounts of land for cereal etc.

Hope this helps.

Peta