Market Stall

Ela

I plan to retire to France next year. I have an adequate income but I thought about supplementing it by selling items such as books, t-shirts etc at a market stall in a couple of tourist towns in central France. Is this feasible? Is it easy to acquire a licence for a market stall? There will probably be a low sales turnover, but presumably I will still have to register with the Chamber of Commerce as a micro-business?

I took my chickens to market quite a lot last year, more as a way of cheap advertising than because we really needed to sell there. All I had to do was bowl up at the nominated place (usually a central point in town) and time (by and large 0800 in summer and 0830 in winter), and follow the placier round for a pitch. Be warned that in the middle of the season there is quite a bit of competition for places, so get there in plenty of time. You usually find that regulars get preferential treatment when it comes to allocation of pitches on the days when competition is fierce.

I was never asked for any papers (although every stand was visited one day by the Fraud people and the DSV; veterinary service; quite rightly make routine checks on the live animal markets - we are registered with them anyway). However, the placier often used to ask for 'papiers' from some of the other traders, and a whole variety were produced, depending on what they were selling (clothing, scooby doos, artwork etc). Some towns will just let you turn up, other Mairies like you to get permission in advance. My advice would be to phone a Mairie in one of the regions you are interested in and then ask to speak to the placier who should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Know the size of your pitch, as the placier will walk you round the town saying 'who has got five metres?' and the like, and then there is a mad scrabble amongst everyone with five metre pitches. Pitches typically cost between 1.30 euros and 3.50 euros per metre, so are relatively inexpensive. I usually end up paying around 3.00 euros for my 2.5 metre pitch, if that's any guide. Keep a quality stand, tidy up behind yourself and they'll always be glad to have you back. Good luck, hope that helps a bit.

Peta

• 4 weeks later...