plumbing and starting a fresh

Karenandlee

Hi, I am wondering if anybody can offer any advice to me and my husband. Having holidayed in France for many years we would like to think about setting up home there but the only problem is work. My husband is a city and guilds trained plumber. Does anybody know if it would be easy for him to find work so that we can make a decent way of life over there? He does speak a bit of french but not fluent. We also have 2 young children and want to move from the UK while they are still young ( 3 and 5).

As for myself, I am a dressmaker and make handmade cards, cushions etc and would love to sell on local markets etc. I know the french has a high tax system but is it like the uk where you have to earn so much before you pay tax?? I am not very knowledgable on this subject so any advice or success stories would be a great help. Thanks.
Karen

As regards City & Guilds type of qualifications in France I am afraid that they will not be recognised here.(We knew a CORGI reg plumber who came here and thought he could just find work like that but no one would employ him because he didn't know the french way and spoke just a few words of french) It isn't so easy to work without some sort of french qualification and good understanding of the language. Our Ch de M had never even heard of the European Builders Confederation nor had their office in Paris when we came here!It is possible however to attend courses (stages) and re-do plumbing studies to get aquainted with the french system. If you wish to set up in business yourself then that is another story as you would either need to present qualifications or proof of running a business in the UK for two or three years previously and then you can register to get into the french system.You wouldn't earn anything like a british wage here and you have to pay high social charges. If you can find employment with a british employer then you would have the easiest of all scenarios to working in France. Also remember that we work a 35 hour week in France and overtime is practically banned because of the high extra charges it incurrs unless you work for yourself.