self-employment

Cathouse

Could somebody clarify where we stand please.
I am a qualified carpenter with 30 years experience living in the South of France,I want to start up i business working here but am having conflicting advice.
I have been told that being a craftsman that I have to register with the office de metiers and apply for an artisan card, on the other hand I have been told by a french friend that I can work under the micro enterprise system which is a lot easier to set up,has anybody had any similar experiences in the above and have some useful advice for us please ?

Depends on your family circumstances in that a micro entreprise will not support a growing family and therefore you need to register as a full artisan, TVA and everything else registered at your local Chambre De Metiers. Whether they still require a CDS I don't know but take it from someone who has run a building business in France for nearly nine years that you need advice and that the authorities may wonder how you are surviving if you do not register for the correct regime. I have also heard now that upon registration you may have to present qualifications on paper or proof of running a business previously, but again every dept and bureau in France seems to run along it's own guidelines. Whatever happens, be prepared to work long and hard and for a lot less money but a better quality of life with your family.

Although not an artisan, I am self employed (or trying to be) in Gers (32)and have found an organisation called "Arte Boutique" to have been a great help.

They also cover Haute Pyrenees, so if you are in either of these departments, they are really worth a visit (and it's free).

Their web site is gives a good idea of whta they can offer: www.bgarte.com/

• 1 month later...