siret number for satallite installations

Elensw

My brother has been in France for a while and is interested in installing satallites for a living (free to air channels only i guess). He worked as an engineer in the UK. Ive advised him that to do any sort of service trade like this in France, he will need to take a course in order to acquire his SIRET number. I know its true for builders. have I mis-advised him and does anyone know if there is such a course for satallite installation / or whether he can simply register using proof of UK experience instead of retraining as writers and photographers etc can?

Many Thanks
El

LAST EDITED ON 23-Aug-04 AT 08:41 AM (BST)

The course to which I think you refer covers business practices - e.g. book keeping, TVA, estimates, invoices, insurance and the other things where particular practices are required under the French system - rather than being trade-based. Although some trades, like electrics, need proof of technical knowledge and French regulations, for something like TV installation proof of experience should suffice.

However, the requirements, and the type and standard of courses organised by and for the Chambres des Metiers and Chambres de Commerces, vary considerably between regions. So the best thing is to speak to your local chambre.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

Basically anyone who sets up as self-employed in France usually a manual worker or taxi driver etc must register and take the compulsory full week's course for which you will pay approx 100. At the end of this course you will receive your SIRET no eventually and be TVA registered and have to pay high social charges no matter what. They seem to be getting stricter now as to qualifications for foreigners to start up in France and you may have to proove either that you have run this type of business before for a few years or have paper credentials, all depends on the dept and the CdeM. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to work on the black, its too dangerous.

>> Basically anyone who sets up as self-employed in France usually a manual worker or taxi driver etc must register and take the compulsory full week's course for which you will pay approx 100. At the end of this course you will receive your SIRET no eventually and be TVA registered and have to pay high social charges no matter what.<<

While this is true for a lot of professions, it isn't for all.

People who want to work/register as Profession Libérale or Travailleur Independant (free lance worker) do not have to take a compulsory course. They have to go to their local/regional URSSAF office and register there. They immediately receive their SIRET nr. If you need to send invoices to people in other countries than France make sure to contact the tax service and ask for a International TVA nr. because that's needed on your invoice and for the people your invoicing.

As far as the high social charges go, they will gradually increase until you have reached a stable year income.

To see if your profession qualifies for Profession Libérale contact the URRSAF and ask them. The URRSAf is the organization that collects social payments from all professions but also takes care of the registration of certain professions. The URSSAF mostly registers, IT professionals, IT consultants, software engineers, artists, medical professions, translators, advocates, accountants etc.

http://www.urssaf.fr

--

Tink (22)

Tink, the quote will not work for me so I am pasting the part of your message I am replying to:

<<People who want to work/register as Profession Libérale or Travailleur Independant (free lance worker) do not have to take a compulsory course. They have to go to their local/regional URSSAF office and register there. They immediately receive their SIRET nr. If you need to send invoices to people in other countries than France make sure to contact the tax service and ask for a International TVA nr. because that's needed on your invoice and for the people your invoicing. >>

This above may be true for some areas but immediate is not true for the Lot.  We got our registration in August for a business that they registered in June but did not tell us about.  We also do not have all the paperwork yet as the person who is dealing with this is on holiday.

We did not have to do the course as you said.