Business partner needed, IT business Caen.

DBUD

I am looking to start a IT business in France, web design, PC support, Hardware installation, Project management, Small business support. I will be moving near Caen.

Is there anyone who would like to partner this project?

many thanks

Darren

You will need perfect French - and I mean perfect. You will have a problem if you are starting the business in France and not porting one over from the UK.

France is as full of web designers as is the UK and I am being told here just as in the UK that 'my cousin/nephew/neighbours child/teenager can do this for €5 an hour'.

The costs of starting up a business in France are more than the UK and you pay your cotisations regardless of any money coming in.

As for having a partner, been there, done that and nearly lost everything over it, no partners for me, even with a watertight legal agreement.

As someone who is doing exactly what you want to do and who has been doing it for more than 10 years (though most in the UK), I would advise you to get the business up and running in the UK and then work via the net over here.  You will also need enough money to live on for at least a couple of years - but I would say that to anyone looking to come and live/work in France.

Sorry if I appear negative but I give marketing advice to people who want to do some of what I do in the UK all the time via a site I co-own (free resource site) so I have some experience of marketing.

OK, I have broken the sites unwritten rule about being all 'sweetness and light' in early 2005 but I am being realistic. I am not trying to put off the competition as I get passed clients from some of the competition I help to get started, but I do know what it is like to get started in France and the red tape and hoops you have to jump through.

If you were not looking for advice such as this, I appologise if you have done all your research.

Hi Di

Many thanks for the advice, it is good to see that there are people around still that tell things in black and white....You mentioned about helping to get started, could you help me with starting the UK business and I could pass any clients that I am not able to help?

Hope to speak to you soon

Darren

Hi Darren

The people I help are now mainly in the secretarial field. I moved sideways into this after the death of IT contracting in early 2000. I was not allowed to stay there for long as clients were happy for me to work from home doing similar work but I still co-own the free support site for 'Virtual Assistants' and help as and when I can.  There are websites and organisations in the UK who will advise and support those who wish to become self employed in the UK. Business Link is one of them and as I used to run marketing seminars for SME's for them, I know the service is still there and the seminars are free.

Being in France, I am not the best person or best placed to help you get started in the UK.

All the best and I hope that you succeed.