how to be paid legally

Helmarion

I have been offered a job working in a shop about 25 hours a week can anyone tell me what is the best way to be paid and what would it cost my employees or me in social costs it will be the minimum wage would cheque d'emploie work?

They are new to this (english)and i will not work without it being legal as my husband is a fully registered artisan

thankyou Karen.

Make sure whatever happens you get a proper contract of employment and it is both signed by yourself and the employer. I think you will find that you do not have to go down the cheque emploi route, the employer can deduct your charges(or his accountant) at the end of each month for the hours worked and the cotisations that apply.

I would suggest that, especially as your potential employers are not French, you treat this offer with a lot of caution if you want to operate legally. Your employers should have a competent accountant who would have all the answers - the fact that you are having to ask here suggests this is not the case. I have seen Mrs Conq's pay slips, and anybody not totally familiar with French finances and employment laws would I think find it virtually impossible to do everything right - there are so many different deductions etc. Even French accountants find it difficult to agree on some employment matters, so what chance do we lay people have?

Also follow Val's advice about contracts of employment. You are in danger of working on the black without you (or your employer) knowing it, and ignorance of the law is no defence in France.

Yes. I did two days in one of my employer's shops last xmas and for that I had to have and sign a contract of travail to cover me or they and I would have been in deep merde with l'inspecteur de travail as well as the other authorities especially URSSAF. My daughter does 30 hour shifts during the school holidays in a large supermarket and for this she gets nearly 200 euros deducted in charges from her SMIC wages, again all contracts and signatures. Sounds like these people havn't a clue about french legislation regarding workers and rights,be very careful and insist they put you through THEIR books not you go out and start get involved in Cheque d'emploi which sounds like they want to pass the buck. I don't know how you stand with that either if you should have an accident on their premises.