Holiday 'Week' - 5 or 6 days?

Floodfamilyagain

Hi

My husband is employed on a permanent contract and works Mon to Fri (total 39 hours)but when he books a weeks holiday he is required to book 6 days (to cover a Saturday aswell )  even though he doesn't work on a Saturday.

My husband has queried this but his employer maintains it is perfectly normal practice?

Does anyone know differently or can you point us in the direction of someone who may now one way or another?

Thanks 

I cant answer the question but would think the employer is pulling a fast one here.But the french do seems to have so maney funny littles rules and laws.

The company my wife works for operated the French 35 hour week but every second Friday she would not have to work, the 70 hours would be made up over 9 days Monday to Friday. However in their company if you took holiday in the week that it was your Friday off then you were not allowed to take the Friday and if the Friday was taken off then this would come out of your yearly holiday allowance, therefore losing some of your hours.

Just for information the company this year is now imposing a 37 hour and no Fridays off, only an extra 10 days holiday a year. This was passed  by the  union as well so maybe the French 35 hour week will soon be a thing of the past

I don't know why some people automatically think French employers are "pulling a fast one", each time they don't understand either the language or culture in France.

I am an employer here in the building trade, and the holiday system for my employees works on what is called on jours ouvrables. Saturdays are counted as jours ouvrables, whether the entreprise works that day or not. So if you finish on a Friday and take the following week off, returning to work on the following Monday, you are deemed to have taken "7 jours ouvrable de congées." The amount of j/o's you get depends on how long you have worked for the company.

Like most things in France it is a complicated system, whereby the employer pays cotisations into a caisse for holiday pay. When the employee takes a holiday, it is the caisse that pays the employee direct, and then at the end of the month, the salary of the employee is reduced to take account of the holiday period taken.

Each employee is given a statement of how many jours ouvrable , he has each year by the caisse concerned. The caisse for building related trades is aclled the CCBO. Holidays have to be taken between 1st may to 30th april of following year, but in certain amounts too.

This is how it works in the building industry, I would think there are equally complicated systems in other professions!

Paul