moving a business to france

Bunny

Hi, we're hoping to move to France at some point this year but can't seem to find much information about certain types of businesses.

My partner is a fully qualified joiner and we presently have a business making and fitting saunas and steam rooms. We've searched the net to try and find out what the market might be for these but not found anything so far. Although he'd be happy to go back into general joinery or construction work.

We also have a sideline of the business making handcrafted traditional Longbows, but again are unsure about the possibilities of being able to continue that in France. We can find information re guns and the laws on guns but nothing on our beautiful longbows.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Our french is very basic so far unfortunately.

B

Have you tried concentrating on the ski regions when looking at the market?  I know of many chalets and hotels with saunas and of many Brits who work on renovating and maintaining chalets for those who have second homes in the region. 

I'm assuming longbows are wooden?  There is also a large interest in wood crafts in the Alps - Les Gets (near Geneva) runs a festival of wood every second year and they seem to make everything from toadstools and children's games to high end crafts.  They also have a competition with men fashioning toadstoold etc in an hour with chainsaws....    Alpine and Savoyard furniture are very fashionable at the moment and it might be a good area for people with an interest and skills in carpentry.    

As in all matters concerning setting up a business here providing services and goods you need to visit and discuss your plans at the local Chambre de Metiers who will give you the relevent info you need to start the registration process. You cannot get such info from reading books written by non-resident foreigners, go straight to the proper people here.