Working from home

Just Katie

I think this has been brought up before but when we move to France, my husband will work from his computer looking after a number of clients.  The clients will be based in the UK and will pay him in sterling which will be credited to a UK account.

Please excuse my ignorance but I thought we could then use ATM machines to access the cash here as that seems to be the most simple thing to do.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also what about tax.  We plan to become permanent residents in France and although we have a number of properties in UK they will all be tenanted and therefore providing further income and will be paid sterling directly into UK account.

Hope someone can help.

KKK - you can certainly access cash with British cards in French ATM machines. It depends how much you need to draw out. There are limits to the amounts that can be drawn in a certain period,  and with commission charges and relatively poor exchange rates you may find it better value and less hassle to arrange a regular inter-bank transfer.

As far as tax is concerned, you will need to declare all world wide income in France as you are French resident. If the work is carried out in Britain, or your husband can qualify for UK tax residency, the tax is paid in Britain. Otherwise - and this sounds like the most likely scenario - it will be payable in France. Unfortunately it is not just tax, there are additionally heavy social security etc charges (reckon on around 46%) to be paid in France. Best to consult a good accountant.

Tax on the rental income will be payable in Britain, but will need to be declared in France as it may affect your tax position in France, though you won't be taxed twice. Tax is normally deducted at source by the letting agent, but for overseas residents you can elect, with the agreement of HM Revenue and Customs, to be paid the full amount if, after deducting expenses etc, there will be no taxable profit. At least that's how it worked when we rented out a house in England.

Just a little bit of information that may be of help to many people. In the case of ATM machines and cards.  Nationwide, if you use a debit card, make no charge for this and the transaction is calculated at "spot" rate therefore no charges or commissions or buy / sell rate. It is also possible to take your card to your French Bank and ask them to make the transaction and credit your French account and this can be for quite substantial amounts.

Chris

No life in Wales is great.  I have lots of friends but they are full on the throttle.  I think they will end up retiring in Benidorm and party till they drop in their old age.  I have many more refined friends in France who I just feel closer to that the Benidorm Bashers but they will do for now.

You're right KKK, Wales is great but they haven't got the red water and I just love how they appreciate it so much over here.  I remember MY FRIEND Lorraine being so impressed by the way the french hold their glasses and the whole ceremony that takes place before they actually drink it.  Whereas in Wales or Benidorm we just push a straw through the cork[:-))]

I AM THE ONLY WELSH GIRL IN THE VILLAGE!

I have a friend in Wales (not one of the Benidorm Bashers) who think the deeper the groove in the bottom of the bottle the better the wine.  I dont know whether this is true but it could be a bad year.  What do they do chuck out all the deep grooved bottles and replace them with cartons?

BTW I think we had better get back on topic or we could be detained.

I believ that there ways of being employed in Britain but living in  France yet paying an 'appropriate level' of tax. Various threads have started on this forum but few finished properly.

Undoubtedly there is a high cost to work in France serving the local communitiy (ies).  That necessitates local registration.

Good lick

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

I have a friend in Wales (not one of the Benidorm Bashers) who think the deeper the groove in the bottom of the bottle the better the wine.  I dont know whether this is true but it could be a bad year.  What do they do chuck out all the deep grooved bottles and replace them with cartons?

[/quote]

I've got a friend who came out with that one too!!![8-)] Considering some of the c*** I've drunk with a deep bottom [:$] and some of the lovely stuff I've had with just a little dip, I can't think that it can be true!